Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i knew buttercups wing clip was bad but now she's molting and the feathers are falling out I'm super mad just looking at them they are so short it's ridiculous. ALL the feathers are cut like this not just the flights like ugh I'm so mad like the first time I saw it all over again.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
That's about how short of a clip mine had when I first picked him up from the breeder at 8 weeks old. :/ I'm glad it didn't impact his future flight ability.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
This is one big reason why our birds are fully flighted . We had a very serious health problem with our William due to bad wing clipping/butchering so we decided none of our birds would go through that. He fell and had a serious bleedy cut in his chest that was hard to heal. He also took long to learn to fly with confidence-it was a nightmare. We have mesh in our windows and always supervise when they are out of their cages so they enjoy flying in the apartment (exception made to kitchen and bathroom-only for their showers ).By doing this we dont have to worry about their nails either because they wear out naturally by being on all sorts of different surfaces. Think about it and all the best with your baby X x Teresa

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know why anyone would ever cut a birds wings this short, it's disgraceful. The girl I bought her from was absolutely clueless but loved to pretend she knew everything and would argue with me about thing so when she was just plain wrong. Like the sex of the babies for instance, she was 100% wrong. Apparently she was a vet nurse too so either she's lying about that or vet nurses aren't taught well enough to do even simple things. I'm ranting a little but honestly I'm so mad, buttercup is going to grow her new wings in and they're probably going to snap off since they're so unprotected. She doesn't deserve that kind of stress :(

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I should hope that vet nurses are taught to do the simple things since I'm thinking about studying to be one :p But yeh we don't get anyone to clip our birds wings either, they are all fully flighted but if for some reason they do need clipping we do it ourselves. Shame on the girl who cut them that short :( hope Buttercup feels better soon with her molting and bad wing clip.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Rockos flight feathers only have about an inch maybe less cut because I was gonna clip him but I decided to keep him flighted because birds should be and should only be clipped if its for a health reason or something he is now moulting and his beautiful feathers are coming back.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I'd be just as mad too, that is ridiculous! Why would you clip a birds feathers that short ! Gr..

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Poor Buttercup! Glad she's moulting. She'll look great (not that she doesn't already!) in a short time again :)

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys :) I suppose I'll have to just get over it but it's hard when I see her try to have a little fly around like Darla does only to fall straight to the ground. I hope there's no problems with the new feathers but I am excited about her getting her wings back !

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
There's a difference between a vet nurse and a vet tech. And even in vet tech school we don't learn much about birds and definitely nothing specific about cockatiels. We get small blurbs on birds but not enough to make us experts. That being said, it's really hard to tell the gender of baby birds unless you are into genetics or have been reading Srtiels stuff online.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I meant that she should have been able to clip wings, it's not difficult and she did the worse job I've ever seen. Even if she wasn't an expert id still expect her not to be absolutely terrible. And yeah i didnt expect her to know all the genetic stuff but I explained the genetics to her, that if the dad was lutino and the mum wasn't then the lutino babies would be female, I went into it for her because she had more than one and I was trying to help her sex them accurately, and she argued with me saying that I was wrong and it was male because of it's cheek patches. Even when I got her DNA sexed as female she still kept on about her being male. She knew literally nothing, I hope I never stumble into the vet clinic that employs people like that.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have noticed that the baby tiels for sale in shops and some of the fb for sales have had their wings clipped :( I feel so sad for them. Our birds all fly around the house and our outside birds have large aviaries. I love to sit andwatch them

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
It scares me when a baby's been clipped before they've learned how to fly. I like giving my babes a few weeks to fly before I clip them.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm still weighing up if I should clip my two when their wings grown back in properly. Both were clipped before I got them. Obviously I'd do it properly if I were to do it at all.
I would leave them completely flighted but I live in a very tiny house and I'm worried about someone opening the front or back door when I've got them out because they're never further than a couple meters from both doors (yes the house is that tiny lol) and so it would be so easy for them to just shoot out in that situation. I mean I don't know why someone would be coming in when I have them out, unless it's my partner and he forgets to check if they're out AND he has awful timing, but it's possible.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts