Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we first got our cockatiel, she managed to get her wings stuck In between the bars of her cage, and injured it. We took her to the vet, and by then she had almost stopped squeaking, but was still raising her wing, almost like she had a sore muscle thing?

The vet said she was fine, but every once in a while, after crashing into something, or landing weird, she will do the same wing movement again, and squak when she preens that wing.
It has been 6 months since the injury first occurred.
Should this be something we should worry about, or just let it be?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
It sounds like something might be wrong with your pet. I would take them back to the vet for another check-up How big is the bar spacing of your cage? In cockatiel size cages the spacing is about 1/2 an inch its very difficult for me to imagine a bird getting their wing stuck in a space that small. I believe 7/8 is the largest recommended size that should be considered for birds like cockatiels. Any larger and its possible they may injure themselves living in it. I personally also believe 7/8 to be too large and prefer to just stick with 1/2 inch spacing to keep things safe care-free.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
I would guess that it's not the injury, but rather just the fact that feathers sometimes get out of place and hurt a bit when tiels fly around in a frenzy. That behavior does not sound unusual to me.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
In cockatiel size cages the spacing is about 1/2 an inch its very difficult for me to imagine a bird getting their wing stuck in a space that small.
It's definitely possible to get a wing tip stuck in 1/2" bars, especially during a night fright. Unfortunately no cage is totally safe. It's always good to check that bar spacing is appropriate, though. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe the spacing was either 1/2 or 3/4, we have since gotten a different cage. What worries me is it is always that same wing. She doesn't ever do it very often, or for very long, but it does happen.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts