Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long does it take for an unfertile egg to develop inside of a cockatiel?

I have a female pearl cockatiel, and about two and a half days ago she was acting a little strange. She seemed very sleepy all day, her breathing seemed labored, and her tail was pointing down. I didn't want to "wait and see" how she would feel the next day. I took her to the vet that day and surprisingly she seemed fine when we got there. She was alert and breathing fine. He checked her breathing, her heart rate, weighed her, and felt around her vent and said he didn't feel any eggs, and said she seemed fine. We left, and when we got home she did seem fine after all... Today, however, she laid an egg and seems tired...

I will admit I do not know much about eggs, or breeding. Would the doctor had felt the egg if she were to lay one two days later? Or.....? She is also a picky eater. Her previous owner brought some special brand seeds and told me she won't eat anything else. I can't get her to eat veggies. If she is laying eggs how can I get the extra nutrients in her that she is missing? Please let me know.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Ok I'm not an expert on egg laying but as for the nutrients she needs lots of calcium! Cuttle bones are great for that, does she have one in her cage? You can get calcium perches too. There are also powered supplements to go over food (best on wet food though so it sticks to it) or liquid supplements to go in her water.
How did the egg look? Was it hard and well formed? Did it have soft spots? If there were soft spots then alarm bells should be ringing as this is a pretttty bad sign and can lead to egg binding.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
I'm not sure exactly how long the formation of the egg takes, but typically between each egg there will be a 48 hour period, so I wouldn't be surprised if the egg is under development for that entire time.

Do you have a cuttle bone, or a mineral block? If she doesn't chew on these, you can scrape some of it into a powder and put it on her food, so she has more chance of eating some. Try offering her some scrambled eggs, these are highly nutritious, and you can even crush up the egg shell and feed it to her with the egg. Sounds weird I know, but I've heard it works :)

Also, Vitamin D is vitally important for proper calcium absorption. If you can give her some time outside (sunlight through a window won't work), that could help a lot.

Best of luck, and keep us updated!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hi there, here is an update...

I tried what you suggested and scrapped the cuttlebone into her seed dish. I tried to get her to eat the cuttlebone on her own but she didn't want it. Scrambled eggs with some of the egg shell, she just hissed at it. I tried leaving it near by, but she wouldn't go near it. I'm kinda worried...

She is now sitting on three eggs... She is doing this weird humping thing while on her eggs every now and then, is she just adjusting herself or trying to pass another egg... or...?

Today I took her out and we went to the bathroom so she could poop in the toilet so that her nesting area would remain clean. I noticed she was shivering a little bit. Is this normal?

I am very much a worry wart... My other female cockatiels from when I was a child/teenager would laid eggs but then get bored of them quickly and ignored them. Tweety here is OBSESSED with them! I hope she'll be okay...

EDIT:

Vet told me that for birds that don't like eating veggies, to try and transition them to a pellet diet instead of seeds. However I don't want to do this while she is nesting because I'm afraid she wont eat...

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
DON'T listen to vets when they tell you to convert your bird to an entirely pellet diet. Variety is key, and they need seeds too. You could try offering her a few pellets mixed in with her seed and see if she takes any interest. Many people also have success offering pellets as hand-fed treats.

The way she is acting sounds normal. (The 'humping' movement could be her turning the eggs over. They do this every half hour or so). Just try to keep her comfortable and warm, and hopefully she will lose interest in her eggs soon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts