Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have owned a cockatiel for about 8 months now, but recently we have not been able to spend nearly as much time as we want to with Capelli. It breaks my heart to have her sitting in the cage alone. Due to circumstances, we CANNOT get another cockatiel. We have a friend who rescues bird, and currently owns a lone parakeet, and wants a buddy.

So my question is this: would she be happier with a bird friend of a different species, or a frequently absent human friend?

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
How many hours a day does your tiel have to spend in the cage alone? Are you out all day for work?
Some people leave the radio on for company when they go out for a couple of hours.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I'm actually just the daughter, and she is in her cage for most of the school day, so about 6 hrs. My mother is home, and she takes her out a couple of times a day, but she recently got a puppy, and we can't have both of them out with only one person supervising. It doesn't work well at all, as we have discovered. I usually have her out for 2& 1/2 hrs per day, give or take a few minutes. I'm going away to college next year, and frankly, I'm not sure on how much outside time she'll get with me gone.
I just don't know what would be best.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Some people here have parakeets and cockatiels, so I hope one of them will see this thread and let you know if they get along (although obviously it also depends on their personalities).
I don't think that 2 1/2 hours a day out of the cage is really bad (there are other people here who have to go to work or to school), but it is not optimal either. It is still better than being in the cage all day.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
to be frank, my bird is a little grumpus a lot of the time, so I'm not quite sure how she would react to sharing a cage.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Oh, I thought they would have separate cages. I don't think it would be a good idea to put a parakeet and a cockatiel in the same cage.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Budgies are known to be bullies to cockatiels. I'd only get another bird for yourself. Don't ever get a bird for a bird. If they don't get along, you'll be stuck with twice the problem.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
I say the bird is fine where he's at. Tiels aren't as needy as bigger birds and tend to do just fine with a couple hours of attention. And remember, once the puppy is older, it can spend time outside while the tiel spends time out of the cage. Crate training the puppy works well here too because it can spend some time in the kennel while the bird is out. As long as the tiel is getting some attention it'll be perfectly fine. In my experience, budgies and tiels were not a good mix at all. My tiels did not like the budgies and the budgies were huge bullies.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a budgie and a tiel in the same cage and, to be honest, I'm usually more concerned that the tiel will bully the budgie. But they're besties... they really adore eachother... it's also worth it to point out though that Linus (budgie) is an English budgie. They're bigger, slower, and less aggressive than wild type budgies.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
878 Posts
I don't think it would be a good idea to put a parakeet and a cockatiel in the same cage.
I agree with littletiel and many others. One cage for both has not worked out for a lot of people.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Just saw this thread! From my personal experience, my English (Fuji) and 'tiel (Yoko) get along great together, however, because it hasn't worked out for some people, just use caution if you to want to mix the species. I also keep them in the same cage, it's relatively large, so they each have their own space, but they still hang out together and are super close. Again, just my experience. Hope all goes well! :)

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I have 2 tiels and 2 budgies. I have two cages. However, sometimes they all want to be in the same cage. My male budgie really loves my female cockatiel. The male cockatiel likes everyone, but especially me. The female budgie seems to like a lot of time alone. So many different personalities.

You could get the budgie and keep them separate in the same room for a while, then let them come out and get used to each other. What I did was let one of them out. That bird would then climb all around the other's cage and they could check each other out, with those safe bars in between. Then, I'd switch which one was in and which one was outside.

By the time they got to be together without bars, they were happy and ready.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Tiels aren't as needy as bigger birds and tend to do just fine with a couple hours of attention.
I have to disagree with the statement that tiels aren't as needy as other species. I actually find the opposite to be true. Cockatiels are now considered part of the cockatoo family, and I don't think anyone would ever say cockatoos aren't needy. Cockatiels are prone to over bonding and often show signs of anxiety and stress when separated from their flock - mostly screaming and pacing back and forth in the cage. I don't think a lonely life is a very happy life for such a social and intelligent animal. No parrot will thrive in solitude, no matter how "independent" the species might be considered as a whole.

I hope you were able to figure something out for your girl.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
What I did was let one of them out. That bird would then climb all around the other's cage and they could check each other out, with those safe bars in between. Then, I'd switch which one was in and which one was outside.
The biggest issue with this is that some birds will bite other bird's feet through the cage bars. Those bars aren't very protective and I'd be wary of letting a bird climb on another bird's cage. It's like if someone dropped a person you didn't know into your room and told you to live with them. Slow introductions outside of the cage are actually the best way to go about this, that way you can pull the birds away from each other if needed.

·
Registered
878 Posts
The biggest issue with this is that some birds will bite other bird's feet through the cage bars. Those bars aren't very protective and I'd be wary of letting a bird climb on another bird's cage.
I've always had to have separate cages for my birds, even when they were both tiels but certainly for different species. Many times one bird will show strong affection for, or interest in, another bird such as a budgie for tiel, lovebird towards tiel, etc., but if the bird that is the object of the affection lands on the other bird's cage it's a crisis because you had to get the bird off the cage before the feet got bitten.

There's something about landing/climbing on someone else's cage - when they each have their own - that is very offensive to the 'resident' bird who's been violated, even when they're buddies.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
There's something about landing/climbing on someone else's cage - when they each have their own - that is very offensive to the 'resident' bird who's been violated, even when they're buddies.
Agreed!! It's a territory thing. That's their home. I have a friend who's lovebird bit her tiel on the foot and hurt him pretty badly. She now keeps a blanket on all the cage tops to prevent this.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts