Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay this has been weighing on my mind for the longest time

Some of Cosmo's feathers have a little bit of yellow on it and I'm so scared it's liver problems. He was seed fed pet shop tiel when I got him, went to pellets for only a few months then a year ago is when I found out he needs a ratio mix.
So when I go to the pet store I get pellets and the seed type mix that has the most benifical stuff in it then I go home and mix it up in his little food container I have for him (BPA free) I believe the mix might be for bigger parrots because they have whole chestnuts(?) (I crack them open and leave the shell bits) but it has all kinds of goodies in it Cosmo enjoys. I believe there a different grains in it, sunflower safflower and pumpkin seeds, oats?, peas, corn, dried fruits like mangos and bananas, pellet shapes, and peanuts in she'll (picked out those this batch because they had black spots on shell) basically all kinds of stuff in it.

My SO won't quit with the shelled peanuts for treats though, I switched to safflower seeds as treats (better alternative??)

He is a little stinker though and won't eat anything that is wet or tastes different from his regular food. I've only had luck with some kale that dried out in my fridge. At this moment right now he has some baby carrots and a broccoli floret on his treat kabob and won't touch it! I've tried sprinkling millet (he'll just pick around to get the millet) different ways of slicing/chopping veggies and a bit of fruit, he gets enticed but once he tried he shakes his head in surprise of taste and then avoids it. Can't tell you how many times I'm at the store and wasted money on buying him different veggies/fruits just to get home and he refuses to eat it. I even tried garden baby food NOPE! I love him so, but it gets a little discouraging when I prep him some real food and he wastes it. I think my next step is to get some food for him on a plate and eat some of it and let him think he is "eating mommy' food" off the plate. Then again the last time I did that he kept flying around my SO when he was eating cereal wanting some!

I'm going to post a picture of the yellowing on his feathers, it's not really that bad because I had to go through pictures to find one that shows it. But I'm still concerned Fid mommy and it makes me feel terrible like what I'm doing isn't enough. I can't afford to go to the vet right now so I just need some advice on this. Thank you for reading

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is what his food container right now looks like. I'm starting to think maybe too many pellets? I try to go light with the seeds because he will eat the seeds first then I try to leave the dish for another day so he eats the pellets up.

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've heard okay things and not so okay things when it comes to peanuts. I think as a general rule it's better to just avoid them. My tiel loves safflower seeds, and to the best of my knowledge they're no more harmful than a regular seed.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Honestly he looks fine in that picture. You could always take him to the vet and ask them to do some bloodwork to find out what his liver values are.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've heard okay things and not so okay things when it comes to peanuts. I think as a general rule it's better to just avoid them. My tiel loves safflower seeds, and to the best of my knowledge they're no more harmful than a regular seed.
What are some healthy bird/human food that your tiel likes and will eat and other treats you give your tiel? I'm glad to hear I'm taking the right path of training treats. He loves them and it's easier to train him with safflower seeds. He doesn't take forever to eat a seed and are small enough to give him multiple without overloading the treats.

I also have those nutri berries (veggie) treats, veggie bird biscuits, avi-cakes, and yogurt strawberry rings he gets if he has been a really good boy. I can't believe how expensive avi cakes and nutriberries are!

Sometimes for a special treat in his food dish I'll give him some organic no junk ingredients granola that has dried apples raisins or banana in it and sprinkle brown flax seed with it. I have chia seeds too in my fridge but haven't gave him any because I know they gel up and not sure if they would be safe.

He has a vitamin/cuddle type bone he picks in his cage along with a kabob with a dried cored apple I got from the small pets isle. The apple has no added ingredients and I made sure the Apple was seed free. He loves to tear up the apple.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can you guys see the yellow though in his wings? I've realized it must of changed the picture quality when I uploaded it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes it's in the white part and he has a little bit of a yellow cast on his grey feathers on his body

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's normal coloring for his mutation.
Now I feel silly that I've been freaking out all this time over nothing. Well I guess at least I'm aware of what he needs to be fed to be healthy. I always thought he was just a regular grey and they weren't supposed to have yellowly feathers

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
If it helps, my grey has coloring just like that and he has perfectly normal blood work (tested for another reason, but still good to know.) :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts