Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently adopted a very ill cockatiel, Archie, who besides other diseases, suffers from Liver disease. Apparently he spent his whole life (however long that may be) in a tiny cage with 10 or so budgies only eating seeds and has liver disease because of it.

I've been asking around vets here but no one seems to know exactly what to do besides changing his diet and adding scrambled egg. Besides, Archie won't eat any fruits or veggies other than lettuce which isn't helping much. I've tried many tricks and I'm still stuck with him only having lettuce.

Do any of you have any advice for the liver disease and the fruit/veggie eating?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Milk thistle is supposed to help with liver disease if you can get some and add it to his food. It's liquid if you get it from a vitamin store and you can add one to two drops. It should help. I'd say add it to his water but then you won't be sure how much he's actually getting. Fresh dandelions would also have the same effect if you can talk him into eating those.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
liver disease

I have heard the same thing about milk thistle. In fact, I was going to post that to suggest it to you, but wasn't sure of the name. I'm glad Roxy beat me to it! Hope it helps!

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Me too!! The liver is supposed to be able to regenerate itself I believe so hopefully not too much damage has been done.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
I'm so sorry, good luck with the milk thistle and dandelions, these should really help your little guy, try offering them every day and even cutting them up really small might convince him to try them. Best of luck! :)

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Here is an old post I made re:Liver Disease in birds.

I'm assuming they did a chem panel on Missy's blood sample to diagnose liver disease. As far as I know, that would be the only way to diagnose it, and to know how advanced it is..they typically measure liver enzymes and another value I can't quite remember. There is a certain range these enzymes should measure between, and if they're higher than the upper value then the liver isn't functioning normally and the bird has liver disease. Depending on how high the value was out of range should tell you bad it is.

The liver can repair itself, so unless it is completely "fried" then it will heal with time, a diet change, and supplements to help the liver function.

What does Missy's current diet typically consist of? As long as it is balanced, then it shouldn't give her any liver problems. Too much seed can cause fatty liver disease and too much pellets can cause liver disease as a result of excess protein in the diet.

In the past, I have used *alcohol-free* milk thistle and *alcohol-free* dandelion extract together. I believe the dosage was 1 drop of each per 3 oz water. I would need to look back in my forum threads for a definite answer. I have also used Avitech's Herbal Bird Rx product, Liver Detox, which is the two extracts combined. They have dosage instructions on the bottle for their product. You can get this from Avitech's website, Amazon, or MSBS.

I've had liver values tested after starting these products, and they really work. They help the liver function until it has healed itself.
http://www.avitec.com/mobile/Category.aspx?id=47

1 - 8 of 8 Posts