Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i’m still working on hand-taming my bird, Pickle. surprisingly, he’s even let me scritch him through the cage bars! i still handfeed him every single day but he’s still afraid of my hands in general. what should i do?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Add your hands in activities you do with him, to show that your hands aren't a danger to him. When he reacts in a positive way with your hands, you can give him a reward. He'll eventually warm up one way or another, so don't worry.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’m not sure if this will help, or if others recommend it- but it’s just my personal experience.
My budgies are really skiddish when it comes to hands too- as opposed to my ‘Tiel who loves everyone and everything it seems!
However- I have been target training my budgies recently and that has helped them get a little friendlier to me in general. The one budgie, Ringo, has been much more comfortable with my hands.
I started just in the cage, then with doors open and my hands in the cage, and now am moving slowly out of the cage. It’s helped.
I did the whole hand taming thing when we first got them too, so I’m surprised Ringo is responding to this.
It could be worth a try if you’ve exhausted other options?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.