Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am a newbie. This forum has great information about cockatiels. I am totally confused in regards to mutations, it seems like the more I read the more confused I get. I guess my first question is, Do most cockatiels have splits?
I guess my next questions would be I have to identify the type of cockatiels I have. I wanted to buy a pied cockatiel to have a mate for my lutino cockatiel,
What I got was a lightly pied cockatiel ( I thought it was a gray cockatiel)
My questions is when they mate will the babies be lightly pied or could they be heavily pied?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Yes most cockatiels have splits, but some like cinnamon you cannot see visually.

Split pied will appear as white blotching on the back of the head or around the body. Split pied cockatiels can also have "dirty" faces, streaked crests, striped beaks, and different colored toenails. Phoenix (my avatar and signature) is split to pied. A visual pied will generally have at least one "clear" (solid white) flight or tail feather. On a lutino bird, these markings are much easier to see under a blacklight.

Both of your cockatiels will need to be at least split pied to produce visually pied babies. If one is pied and the other is not visual nor split, all babies will only be split to pied.

There is no guarantee two cockatiels will bond, let alone mate and successfully raise chicks. I suggest you do a lot more research on breeding before you continue this endeavor :)

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Most birds these days contain splits. It's actually super rare to find a normal grey bird with NO splits at all.

If the male isn't split to anything else, the babies may be all normal grey unless the female is also split to pied. Pied is tricky when it comes to determining how the babies will look. Some may look light pied like the dad but don't be surprised if you get thrown a heavy pied as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for a11 the information. I will take pictures of Sonnyboy & Daisy and as soon as I figure out how to post them. I know Sonnyboy is split to white face, as he has a white halo around his cheeks and he has some white marks on his back & shoulders that looks like old pearling that he lost.(this is some information I read) But I don't see the pied, he does have pink legs. The breeder told me he is a pied. Would he be a pied or split pied?

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
He sounds split to pied, not actually visual.

You can post a picture using the "go advanced" option or using something like photobucket to post the picture.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts