Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see that there are a few threads about lighting but none that awnsered my question. :p

So my plan is to keep a cockatiel in my bedroom closet (The cage i want will be on wheels so he will be out in the room most of the day) But my room usaly doesn't get very much sun light and in winter it gets even less so i was wondering if this could be used in the closet. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=5059+5690+5711&pcatid=5711 The closet is about 6L feet x 3W feet x 8H feet. And the light outlet is about 5-6 feet high (i think). So would that light work like the sunshine or would it be not enough?

Thanks, :)

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
I don't think that bulb is full spectrum..so it wouldn't do much good. And your bedroom window filters sunlight so your bird isn't receiving natural sunlight from that. As to the closet, are you leaving the door open? Most people only place birds into the closet for "punishment."

·
Registered
63 Posts
Eh, in a closet I'm thinking it would provide plenty of lighting. If your going for warmth also than an attaching light to the cage or one that sits on top would be good for that.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Out of curiosity, why the closet? Cockatiels are flock animals, and like to be wherever the main activity is in the house. Even with the door open, a closet would quickly get confining and wouldn't have much visual stimulation (like from a window, or people moving around the house). Closets CAN be good for giving the long nights treatment, if the bird is put in there only to sleep. Other than that, I wouldn't recommend it.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Eh, in a closet I'm thinking it would provide plenty of lighting. If your going for warmth also than an attaching light to the cage or one that sits on top would be good for that.
Please don't give advice without a reliable source. Certain types of lights can damage a bird's sight, and can also create a heat/fire hazard when placed too close to the cage. I know you are excited to be learning about 'tiels, but giving off the cuff advice like this could put another user's bird in danger.

PLEASE read this thread: http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=27124

It is very difficult to communicate with you since you do not allow users to send you private messages. Please also enable that feature on your profile.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think that bulb is full spectrum..so it wouldn't do much good. And your bedroom window filters sunlight so your bird isn't receiving natural sunlight from that. As to the closet, are you leaving the door open? Most people only place birds into the closet for "punishment."
Yup the closet opens completly up :) Was more for at night so he has a quite place to sleep and was thinking about turning it into a bird play house :p .

Now with the light being full spectrum: The world's only patented full-spectrum natural light and here is what the staff said "Thank you for your question. Unlike limited spectrum compact fluorescents sold for home use, this bulb delivers full-spectrum natural light. Lighting that simulates natural daylight is critical for caged birds. It can help reduce feather plucking and aid in your bird's production of essential vitamins"

So i thought it was full spectrum :eek:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Out of curiosity, why the closet? Cockatiels are flock animals, and like to be wherever the main activity is in the house. Even with the door open, a closet would quickly get confining and wouldn't have much visual stimulation (like from a window, or people moving around the house). Closets CAN be good for giving the long nights treatment, if the bird is put in there only to sleep. Other than that, I wouldn't recommend it.
Well the cage is on wheels so the tiel will be in a more active place during the day :)

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
It might be full spectrum, i just didn't find it in the item description.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Well the cage is on wheels so the tiel will be in a more active place during the day :)
Then you shouldn't need a light for in the closet if the 'tiel is only in there at night. You can do a forum search for what properties a safe full spectrum light has. Just make sure this light is not going to harm your bird's sight.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Hahaha that's what i thought when i first looked around. On the bright side, it will lost very long and you will get your money's worth. :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Is nine hours too long to have it on throughout the day? And will the light provide any heat? Thanks in advance.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts