Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, have been reading where tiels or any pet bird for that matter should have full spectrum lighting for at least 12 hours. Do all of you have that for your tiels??

I know in SD we will be be having our longest day of the year tomorrow I believe and then it goes down hill from there, so is there an inexpensive way to get lighting that is good for them ??

I did find a lamp on Foster & Smith that would come to about $70 (lamp and bulb)

I also work nites, so would have to have it plugged into a timer.

Any ideas??

·
Registered
9,464 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
You can but a bulb daylight balanced i think 5200K and it gives off the effect of (daylight at noon). The UVA UVB thing is only good if the bird is about 12 inches or less from the bird. I think the expensive bulb and set up is a rip off for the most part becouse there only good for about 6 months then the UVA UVB aspect wears off and you have a basic daylight balanced bulb. If you call around plant stores or home stores they may have the light bulbs or know where to get them, the best ones are the 36 or 48 inch flouresent type (make sure there daylight balanced) then buy a regular fixture for them and there you go.
You can buy 2 bulbs and a fixture for under $40.00 and they last a long time. In the summer i just put my birds out doors in there cage ALLWAYS UNDER A WATCHFUL EYE, if its 70 or above and sunny then the natural sun is great for them, watch them so they dont over heat but its the best way to go. Hope this helps some...be happy. :)

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks... I will check around, not to worried about it yet, but when winter comes and our daylite ends so early would be nice to have something... as I said I need something with a timer as I leave for work in the late afternoon and come home in the early morning hours... and don't want a lite burning all nite. That would disturb Tikis sleep.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I don't have any special lighting for the birds, in summer i put them out for about an hour at the weekend, sometimes more if i'm lying out in my hammock watching them. In the winter it's too cold, but they don't seem to suffer at all without expensive lighting.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Most "normal people" put lights on at nite tho so there is some light until they go to bed.... In the winter time when I go to work in the afternoon, my house is dark by 6 PM except for the nite lites...guess that is what I was worried about for Tiki... the dogs just sleep while I am gone, so have never tho't much about it until now.... and I don't want lites burning until I get home around 3 AM....that would mess up his sleep pattern... think I wil look around and see if I can fix something up on a timer, so he can have lite at least until 8 PM or so.....now we have lite till around 9:30 PM and he huddles down to sleep about that time.... :)

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
I use what's called Day light Bulbs (same thing as full spectrum)and i have them in every single room - because it's better lighting for us humans and all animals

when i was reading up on it, it said the daylight (full spectrum) lights portray natural light more so then normal "old fashioned" light bulbs and it makes it better on us, and for our eyes and our health in general

the bulbs i use i bought at our local hardware store, and they're sprial and fit into normal light sockets

Just make sure you read the the watts , say if it says 65 watt that is nothing like a normal 65 watt bulb it should have a slash beside it and say what the actual wattage is

I'll warn ya ahead of time if you buy any of them that are 100Watts One should do ya

in our old house my bedroom light took 2 bulbs my b/f put 2 100watts in (thats what i had in it from the "old style" light bulbs and i was still having trouble seeing

he put the day light (full spectrum) bulbs in and I couldn't stand it, I left it like that for about a hour to get used to it because it was new to me and my eyes, but it made me sick to my stomach, and was hurting my eyes

so he took one of the 100 watts out and put a ''60'' watt in and that was much better

here in this house in our kitchen we have a ceiling fan that takes 4 bulbs, I only have one 100 watt bulb in it of the daylight bulbs and that's all i need, unless we're going to play a game or cards or something like that at the kitchen table then I'll finish screwing in the 60 watt bulb that aims at our table but for the stove/ sink area the one 100 watt bulb is all i need.

if i remember right ( i bought mine in nov / dec.) i got a pack of 4 bulbs for 7.99 at my local hardware store

I now see them all the time in single packs at the dollar store and family dollar

as for how long they get the lights it is more so in the winter than in summer, I normally turn the birds room light on when it gets dark (it gets dark around 9ish) but it's not pitch black, and we put the birds to bed around 9 30 or so we've been waiting til it gets pitch black outside - because it's easier with the way we put them to bed

in the winter here its usually dark around 7ish, so they have the lights on from then until 9 or 10 when we put them to bed

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you... I think I will look for light bulbs... I could get a regular lamp, reading lamp of sorts, I did see a plug in timer... and set it to go on around 5:30 PM and off around 9 PM..... sounds like a plan to me... then it won't interfer with his sleeping and I won't feel like my electric bill is going thro the roof.....since I have a nite light on , I don't put on any extra lites when I come home, I am limited to space, so he is in my kitchen... but doesn't seem to bother him when I come home... I have only had him a wk, so we are still getting use to each other and the routine... :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.