Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've had Ergo for about 5 days. My boyfriend decided to let Ergo out of his cage and into my room tonight to see how he goes. I trusted him to know what he's doing as he's had birds before. It was definitely a good experience (and Ergo hasn't pooped anywhere out of his cage yet!). After a minute of almost-panic, Ergo switched into 'observation' mode and began to explore. Then with some persistent encouragement from my boyfriend, he sat on his arm for a few minutes. Bites WERE dealt throughout the course of the experience and the bf suffered a slightly bloody injury, nothing major. Perhaps the most inspiring moment was when Ergo sat on the bf's knee and let us pet him for a little while :D and then he successfully stepped up on his arm and was carried back to his cage.

I must admit, I was more hesitant about attempting to pick him up because what's a tiny bite to my boyfriend will probably be a bloody experience for me - he's got much tougher skin. But we hope to repeat the process tomorrow and hopefully he can start perching on me a bit as well.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Sounds like your making great progress with Ergo :) Its a good feeling when they start to trust you!!! being hesitant is perfectly normal ;) when I first got Georgie she would hiss at me and open her beak everytime I put my finger near her to step up and let me tell you it scared me at first I thought she would take off my finger I would even get a perch to make her step up then I realized I have to let her know I am not scared of her and get over the initail fear, she would attack my finger and I would not move it from her it never really hurt much and soon she realized I wasn't going away and she stopped doing it now she just does it occasionally when she is not in the mood to listen to me :D

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
That's good to hear. Just keep doing that everyday and then a couple of times a day. If he is in a birdie safe room just keep his cage door open for a while.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Sounds like Ergo's first out of cage experience was a good one. :D If you have some millet you can offer that to him when he's out and sitting on you, make the experience even more happy for him. ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts