Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a male cockatiel of an unknown age...but our avian vet thinks he may be 3-5 years of age.
He was a lost bird we adopted about a year ago, and aside from being very underweight when he was found, he was otherwise in good health.
He had bloods done & was negative for Psittacosis.
He is/was hand raised & has a beautiful & loving personality....he is very clinging with me in-particular, but loves all our family.
He has been going through a very heavy molt for some weeks now, and sleeping a lot more than normal, as to be expected.
But he has been showing some very significant signs of unusual lethargy & weakness..
He has become very reluctant to fly, when he is normally very good & usually loves to fly. He seems week when he does fly, and sometimes has trouble getting to his destination & has a bit of a crash short of the perch he is going for. On 2 occasions, including tonight, and the first time a couple of weeks ago he was so lethargic he had some trouble standing properly, and getting in, or out of his cage.
On both occasions he had noticeably not eaten as much as usual, but after a bit of coaxing, and eating some food he picks up quite quickly. Also, he has a good diet of Roudybush, quality seeds & fresh veggies.
Only other couple of things is although hos poo looks normal, there is a good deal of urine/water with it, and he is drinking heaps, although he has always liked his water, it seems more than normal for him. And the other is he as has had a couple of weird tail feathers come through, and they have fallen out before fully maturing.
I am going to arrange a phone consult with our avian vet Monday(we are regional), but I am hoping for some good advice from the ever helpful cockatiel community as well...
We have really grown to love the little boy, so we are a bit worried...

·
Registered
885 Posts
Unfortunately it could be any number of things, and the only way to really tell what's wrong is a vet visit. I do understand your position completely, as here, avian vets are few and far between. Our closest is 45 minutes away but her attendance at the clinic is very spotty, it takes forever to get an appointment and emergency visits are extremely hit and miss. Our next closest is 2.5-3 hours away.

Other members might have some more insight into what might be wrong, but for now all I can say is try to keep him warm and comfortable, encourage him to eat, and limit his flying activity if he is unstable to reduce the risk of an injury.

I'm sorry your little guy isn't feeling well :( And please keep us updated!

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Oh no, I hope he will be ok, with the runny watery poops kidney issues come to mind but as stated above a vet visit with proper diagnosis is important to find the proper treatment. Please keep us informed!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As mentioned our nearest avian vet is a 16 hour drive away...so we do phone consults with pictures & lots of questions.
And if bloods & tests are needed he works with local general vets to help.
At this point he does not think it looks good, going by symptoms & pictures.
The most concerning things for the vet were the high levels of lethargy & the deformed, and unmaturated feathers.
Really worried about our dear little boy now...he has the most incredibly loving & playful nature..
I dont want to see him go downhill after beating all the odds in the wild :(

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Can you post pictures of the feathers? If he's having issues flying, the feathers could be why. And they can be knocked out when he crashes, thus not fully maturing before falling out. This happens a lot during moults. Increased water intake does sound like kidney issues. He may have not been on the best diet before you found him.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Given your location and the symptoms, I'd be concerned about PBFD. :( Have you discussed that possibility with the vet?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Yes, defs discussed Beak & Feather with the vet....without doing bloods he is as confidant as can be he does not have it given his symptoms. He is leaning towards possible problems from his previous home & diet. Although, what confuses me is the relatively sudden change...that came in line with the molt. Although I guess the stress of the molt may have bought any issues to the surface. The other thing to note is is feathers were pretty much perfect when we found him, so I would have thought his diet would have been okay. Now the weird feathers & shabby look :(
You can download the pictures I sent the vet here https://www.hightail.com/download/cUJYRFFZQTZreEFVV01UQw
Thank you everyone for your input & moral support...

Oh, I had to take the pics through the cage because there was no one home at the time....if I were to have taken him out he would have not left my shoulder, so it would have been lots of ugly selfies :/

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Small update...
I have been giving him Vetafarm Liquid Spark additive in his water for a few days now, and the improvement in his energy & alertness has been dramatic.
Although I know it is in no way "treating" what ever the underlying problem is, the replacement of electrolytes he is loosing from the excessive water throughput had had an extremely positive effect.
As mentioned he was at times almost appearing "drunk" and quite confused, as well as very weak, which does line up with electrolyte deficiency in humans.
At the very least it will have bought him some time to get to the bottom of the problem, or maybe even give his body the support to get past it on its own...
So I will sleep a little easier tonight, I have been rushing to his sleeping cage every morning to see if his still on his perch :(
Also have organised a friend who is a breeder to come over & do a toe prick blood test for PBFD, so we can at least rule that out for certain...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts