Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have always thought lentils would be ok for birds...
never actually personally given to my birds, but i thought it was safe nonetheless...
but then i found this...

Lentils

We never think of this legume unless it's in our soup. But put lentils in rice or casseroles and you've added one of the highest-protein and highest-fiber foods around.

A cup of lentils supplies about 40 percent of the DV for protein and about 65 percent of the DV for fiber. The lentil is high in potassium, calcium and iron, and a good source of B vitamins, phosphorus and copper. The fat content? Zero.

what the?!?!... copper?
would that be a cause of metal poisoning?
found that at this site...
http://www.revolutionhealth.com/healthy-living/food-nutrition/kitchen/stock-shelves/pantry-staples/avocado-soybean-superfood?msc=A62902

·
Registered
125 Posts
I think it would have to be high amounts to poison... Hmm.

My avian vet suggested I give lentils to my budgie while she's trying to gain weight. I don't think she would say that unless they were safe. :confused:

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
I give mine lentils to mine once in a while and they love them. For it to cause metal poisioning it would have to be very high amounts stored. Its basically the same thing as with egg whites-if given daily they'll cause a problem but once in a while they're ok.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts