Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone
i want to ask you about my cockatiel the male one he is 3 month old ,he fall from cage when it was open .he tried to follow a male cockatiel that she is 6 months and she can fly , the problem is he hurts his leg when he try that , and now he cant stand on his leg ,he stands only on one.we have no vet here for birds there only for cats and dogs. what should i do i need your help please

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Most tiels only stand on one leg when they are resting, it's a sign of good health. Does he limp and cry when he walks? Can you inspect the leg at all?

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
If you suspect the leg is injured or broken, take him to the vet anyway, even if you don't have an avian vet, a normal vet can still assist.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Most tiels only stand on one leg when they are resting, it's a sign of good health. Does he limp and cry when he walks? Can you inspect the leg at all?
yes he does limp when he walks but he doesnt cry . he stand on one foot and when he wants to walk he limps and he uses his beak to help him walk

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Yea he needs to see a vet. Even a dog vet will be able to take a look at him.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Are his wings clipped? A 3 month old cockatiel should be able to fly as well as a 6 month old.. They start flying when they are only a few weeks old...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are his wings clipped? A 3 month old cockatiel should be able to fly as well as a 6 month old.. They start flying when they are only a few weeks old...
no his wings not clipped , i dont know but the female one she fly.i cant determine the exact age. may the god help him cause i love him so mush .i went to the dog vet but he told me he cant help .

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Keep him in a smaller cage and try not to let him move around a whole lot. He's gotta give that leg a chance to heal.

A 3 month old cockatiel should be able to fly as well as a 6 month old
Not true. Baby tiels are a lot clumsier than older tiels that have more experience. If this baby wasn't as sure of himself it's not hard to assume he overdid it and hurt himself.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Keep him in a smaller cage and try not to let him move around a whole lot. He's gotta give that leg a chance to heal.

Not true. Baby tiels are a lot clumsier than older tiels that have more experience. If this baby wasn't as sure of himself it's not hard to assume he overdid it and hurt himself.
True, I guess maybe my babies learn to fly very good very young because they are in my bird room and allowed to fly a lot... They are very accomplished fliers by the time they wean... I guess if they are kept in a cage and not given as much freedom they would not learn to fly as well, as quickly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts