Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this the best place to post about leg bands? I recently acquired two friendly Cockatiels, but the person who sold them to me was not very informational. She told me they were not tame at all, didn't know if they were bonded, blah, blah, blah...
The first night I had them home I could tell they had been hand trained, they both sat with me and perched on my fingers, and I am finding out they have very nice personalities.
One has a leg band. The other does not. I want to see about tracing this leg band.
The leg band says:
GLAS MI 12
Any thoughts?

:yellow plet:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My closest guess is that this bird was hatched in Michigan and was hatched in 2012. I would rather like to make contact with the breeder if at all possible.

:umbrella too:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, and one more detail. I had a heck of a time reading the leg band tonight. Will keep trying. I think that GLAS MI 12 is all that is on that band, but she was fidgeting and moving around so much I was having trouble being absolutely sure that was all that was on the band.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Well, I honestly think you geuss sounds reasonable. But it is always better, like you said, to just ask the breeder. It's wonderful they are tame. That makes everything a joy. Give you 'tiels my love!!

~Skye

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Glas would likely be the initials of the breeders aviary... But you can put whatever you want on them, I ordered leg bands for the first time this clutch and they are CFC which stands for Crazy for Cockatiels... Mine will have my state and they year on them and also a number which will indicate the number order the bird was hatched in that year.

What I did to read a band on a no hands on bird was to take pix of his leg every time I got a free shot at it...lol so I have a million pix of my birds leg. He is tame and sweet, will fly onto you and loves to be talked to, but not touched at all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did think GLAS sounded very familiar, from several years ago when I had other parrots, a blue fronted Amazon and two African grays. GLAS stands for Great Lakes Aviculture Society. So I am hopeful they can put me in touch with the breeder, but still not a lot to go on, so it seems...
Praying 😊 !

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wonder if someone on this board is familiar with any breeders who use that info on their bands?
I sent a message out to them... Hoping :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts