Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone, I have a gorgeous 1 year old cockatiel male who I very much in love with. I’m looking to travel next year and wanted to know thoughts on my plans for him and if this would affect him too much as I would hate for him to be unhappy and stressed for a year.

My mother lives in a different state (approx 42 hour drive - birds can only travel cargo in my country and I would not want to risk it). Prior to purchasing him I asked if she would be willing to take care of him for a year if I do decide to travel and she enthusiastically said yes. I would drive him up, stay with him for a-few weeks then leave to travel for 6months to a year.

I have heard horror stories of birds getting stressed and plucking or refusing to eat, currently I work from home so he spends a lot of time with me and is very used to our routine. Would leaving him with a new person in a new home be too stressful for him? She meets him each time she visits me and she is familiar on his routine and how to handle him. My brother also lives with her and works from home so he would have company during the day when she goes to work.

I have also been toying with the idea of getting a second cockatiel later this year with the hopes that they would bond and him having a friend would make the move less stressful on him. However I am aware they might not get along and that this option could stress him more.

Has anyone else done this? Is it likely my boy would cope? I’m also willing to make multiple shorter trips if needed but I think popping in and out could be more stressful for him.
Ultimately I want the best for my boy and am willing to compromise where needed for a seamless transition

·
Registered
21 Posts
Your bird can pluck, get deppresed, stop eating and even just randomly die if u stress it enough. You have a bird not a dog. Leaving a bird alone for so long is like leaving a 3 year old kid with a random person...You have to adjust your life after your bird!

·
Registered
194 Posts
It depends on the bird. I had to relocate my tiel recently while I get my place painted. He was flying onto the heads of my friend's family within an hour. He is a social boy. He was also flying around her room whistling. Very comfortable and not at all concerned about a new environment or my absence haha.

My point is only you can know your bird and what will cause stress.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts