Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
My name is Eve and I am new to this forum. Figured this would be a good place to come to learn more about my cockatiels.
I have so much to say and ask I will try and break it up the best I can.

A little about us:
I grew up with cockatiels until I was 18, I'm 26 now and about a year ago purchased a cockatiel from a gentlemen who bred/raised cockatiels. He didn't give me much info on her (don't know sex) then about 6 months ago I purchased another cockatiel from a lady who takes in birds when no one else can, rescue I guess, just not official. :)

ABOUT MY BIRDS:

1st one I acquired, (sunny)she(?) is your typical cockatiel who is friendly and full of personality, maybe wasn't handled as much as I would of liked. But still great. I think the gentlemen called her a cinnamon in color?? I will need confirmation on that if anyone can help. ( I will post couple pics of them) And I'm not positive what age she is but I would assume about a little over a year.

2nd one (Stormy) was young when I bought (her) she is white face, grey on top/back of wings. He seems much more nervous, less handled and feathers are a mess. Also neck,belly/chest, bottom of back of tail and hood is starting to look faintly yellow. Anyone know why this would happen? Also is it true if they weren't properly hand raised its a lost cause on taming them down? Any advise on how I may be able to calm/tame her more, help her relax and be more friendly? is this possible. I would like to stick my hand in the cage without her panicking and breaking her feathers on the cage.

Any help/advise is greatly appreciated. I want to learn as much as I can about this breed of bird so I can take the best care I can of them and give them a great knowledgeable home.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
As for the yellow, it is just waste stains or food stains. Most likely the waste. The other bird may have pooped on it or it may have walked over poop, etc.

Hand raising a bird does not guarantee it will be sweet and completely tame. It has a higher chance of happening, but individual birds vary.

You can do simple techniques like talking softly to the bird. Will it eat millet out of your hand?

Oh, and Welcome! :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh my, maybe I should get a much larger cage. I wasn't certain if for some reason now that he/she was getting older now she was turning yellow some how :blush: now that her feathers are all a mess will they eventually start looking better? or is there anything I can do to help her?

Also thank you for the color clarification. THAT sounds correct. :)

·
Registered
711 Posts
yes indeed there is a way to get her to look better. Get a nice new spray bottle and lightly mist them every day. It has worked wonders for my birds they are very soft and clean now..They may not like it at first but use luke warm water and mist over top of them and let the mist fall on them don't spray it right on them. Some really like to be misted and some not so much but its very helpful to them. On that note you have gorgeous birds and I hope that you catch MBS and get many more beautiful birds. ! started with one tiel and now have 4 tiels and 2 green cheek conures.

Mikey

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes indeed there is a way to get her to look better. Get a nice new spray bottle and lightly mist them every day. It has worked wonders for my birds they are very soft and clean now..They may not like it at first but use luke warm water and mist over top of them and let the mist fall on them don't spray it right on them. Some really like to be misted and some not so much but its very helpful to them. On that note you have gorgeous birds and I hope that you catch MBS and get many more beautiful birds. ! started with one tiel and now have 4 tiels and 2 green cheek conures.

Mikey
Thank you :D But :blush: may I ask what MBS stands for lol??

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
Multiple bird syndrome. :lol:

Beautiful 'tiels by the way. :D

·
Registered
716 Posts
My Lofty is also a whiteface cinnamon pied, she managed to get yellow marks on herself too the other day too, lol. I take my birds in the shower with me to wash. She's always stunningly white after her showers.

If that picture of Sunny is recent, then she must be female to still have so many pearls. Stormy is pied, so you can't tell gender by looking at her. You'll either need to get a DNA test done, or guess from her behaviour.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts