Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I came to this site from Talk Budgies. Currently I have 4 adorable little budgies: Monster, Fawkes, Apple and Pistachio.

I have wanted a pet bird since I was 5 years old. However my parents never allowed me to have any since they didn't like the idea of an animal in a cage. As a result I ended up raising injured and abandoned wild birds (mostly swallows) I found in our neighbourhood. They never lived in a cage but had free access to the whole house. :) Once they were old enough (weaned) I handed them over to an organisation that housed them with birds of the same species and then released them back into the wild.

In November of last year my boyfriend's friend went budgie shopping and we went with. He ended up buying 2 budgies (I picked out little Monster). However, after two days his dad got sick of the mess they created and he had to find a home for them fast. :mad:

I offered to take them in until he can find a home for them. Needless to say my parents fell in love with them and I ended up being the very proud mum of Monster and Fawkes! :) It wasn't long before I added to my flock and bought Apple and Pistachio. In fact, they will be meeting each other tomorrow since they will be done with quarantine!

Anyway, back on track to why I joined Talk Cockatiels. I have been doing a lot of research on different types of birds. I started by wanting a larger bird such as a conure. I soon realised that this will be unfair to the bird since I'm not that experienced with them. It wasn't long until I fell in love with cockatiels! My best friend has one and she is an absolute darling. :love:

Don't worry, I'm not planning on getting a cockatiel until around October. In the mean time I will be researching until my head explodes! I hope to learn a lot from this site and would love any help! :)

So sorry for the long speech! :blush:

·
Registered
341 Posts
Cockatiels don't have very different requirements from budgies, their quieter, eat more veggies and are obviously larger. There wonderful birds though, I adore my Echo, he's so sweet.

Welcome to the forum

Emma

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Welcome to the forums!! :D Your four budgies are gorgeous. I think you would absolutely love a cockatiel, their care requirements are very similar to budgies but they're cuddly!

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Welcome to the forum, your budgies are adorable, Cockatiels make wonderful companions they have so much love to give ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for the welcome and the links! Very interesting. :) I have some more questions, but I will ask them in the appropriate categories.

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
welcome to the site your monster looks just like my star if you can find a local breeder that hand feeds them that way they are so tame and your parents will be able to handle them as well

1 - 9 of 9 Posts