Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this report on the cage I was thinking of getting http://hqbirdcages.com/cage_toxicology_report.html What do you guys think of this report? Have you ever thought about lead or/and zinc being in your bird cages. Does anyone know of a lead and zinc free powder coated cage? I know there is stainless steel but it is way to expensive :( Thanks for the help :)

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
True, but doesn't lead build up in the body? Would 1.2ppm be all that the bird would get for its whole life time? Or would it build up to more? I think I will get that cage but want to make sure it will be safe. And yes Iam crazy :wacko:

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
That would be a lot better than most cages. If you tested your current cage it would probably be higher than 1.xx but it's still safe because the levels are no where near high enough to be dangerous. :) The lead and zinc are usually in the metal frame, not the paint that coats it. Unless you get stainless steel then it's unavoidable, but unless the paint is chipped and the metal exposed it shouldn't be any problem at all.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
I could just BUY my own lead test and do it. With all the lead recalls here in toys finding a lead testing kit is no issue. Plus, I wouldn't want to chip and part of the paint, even if it's on the bottom. Mine would be hard to scratch, plus once you start chipping it, it starts getting messed up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.