Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you use the Lafeber's Premium Daily Diet for cockatiels? They are pellets of course, and all the reviews talk about how their birds love them, and took to them easily and quickly...I am thinking since Milo loves the Nutriberries, he might just like these too. They seem to be as nutritionally complete as any of the better pellets.

http://www.petco.com/product/6034/L...at=RecentlyViewed-_-Product_1#description-tab

Comments?

·
Registered
139 Posts
It's a great brand but it's not flavored, so my birds like Zupreem more but accept this readily if it's not available.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
I really want to try Lafeber's but haven't yet because I'd have to pay a ridiculous amount of money to get it to my country, haha. I'm also unsure of which product/flavour/etc to get. I've heard nothing but positive news about this brand though, so I'd give those pellets a go if I were you. :)

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I don't know anything about Lafeber's, but I do see that ground corn is the top ingredient (which I know is a bad filler ingredient for other animals, although I'm not sure about other animals) and cane molasses (sugar) is in the top five ingredients, which isn't very good, either. On another note, I just thought I'd let you know that Petsolutions has it for slightly cheaper than Petco, and they also have a 1.25lb tub, in case you wanted to order a smaller tub to try it first. :)

http://www.petsolutions.com/C/Cockatiel-Lovebird-Food/I/Cockatiel-Premium-Pellets.aspx

·
Registered
10,897 Posts
Corn is a highly nutritious grain, as good as any other. Cockatiels are granivores ("grain eaters") so it's a very appropriate component of their diet. The combination of corn and soybeans is especially effective at producing complete protein which is why they're often used together in pellets. There's information about the nutritional value of corn and other pellet-related myths in my article at http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/info/nutrition-misc-pellets.html This includes the "soy is bad" myth which is widespread on the internet.

The original Dr Lafeber is the one who invented pellets, and the Lafeber company is still considered to be one of the best. I've never used their pellets but I wouldn't hesitate to do it. Nutriberries are nutritionally equivalent to pellets and my birds LOVE them. I offer my flock half a dozen pellet brands and Nutriberries are the favorite by a wide margin.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all of you! I was thinking of trying the parakeet size so that my keet can eat them too, but I can only find it online and the shipping is huge :( We have a Petco and Petsmart here, but they only carry the cockatiel size... do you think if I crumble some for the keet, it would be edible for her?
Thanks for the link Tielfan, it really helped me. I read the one on converting them to pellets too, and there are some great suggestions.

·
Registered
10,897 Posts
Most pellet companies use the same or similar formulas for the different sizes. So the cockatiel size would be safe and nutritious for your budgie, and the only problem is that it might be physically too large for her to manage. If you can break it to a more manageable size it will be fine, but this sort of thing is usually easier said than done.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Sammy and Pickles won't eat the daily pellets. But Pickles does like the veggie nutriberry. Sammy is not all that interested in any of their products. He likes to crush the nutriberries but really doesn't eat them.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Milo loves the nutriberries, but not the fruit added in them. Petco and Petsmart only carry the orchard kind with fruit, but I am sure he would like the veggie better. He gets two of them every evening, but I feel that isn't enough. I would rather him be on pellets, along with his veggies, some seeds, and sprouts. He is very healthy right now, but I still feel he is missing nutrients. He is only six months old, so I think now is the time to get him eating the pellets.

·
Registered
10,897 Posts
I get the plain "classic" Nutriberries. I usually order them online from Amazon because they usually have the best price. I get the 4-pound tub since I have a lot of birds and it gets eaten pretty fast. Nutriberries count as pellets because they provide the same level of nutrition if the bird eats them all.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I will have to buy a tub of the classic nutriberries~ thanks for the info! I found the parakeet size pellets at Foster & Smith, and their shipping for a five pound tub of the pellets is only $5- so I ordered it. I am hoping they convert easily :p I am up for it though, I've got them both eating veggies and sprouts :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts