Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swear to god, it's always SOMETHING. I'm starting to feel like I'm cursed.

I think Sunny has a ruptured air sac. Tonight he came out and flew around, and then afterward, he was making a little bit of a whistling noise with his breathing and there was a spot on his shoulder that was bulging. I thought I imagined it, but then it happened a second time.

So...what now? I can only see the bulging when he's breathing hard. He's still acting normal. If I take him back to the vet first thing in the morning, should that be okay? They open at 9am. I don't know that there's much I can do myself right now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a final tomorrow that I was supposed to study for tonight/tomorrow. I'm honestly worried I might flunk out of my program because of this. I just don't know what to do.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,909 Posts
He should be OK for now the biggest risk if you don't release the pressure right now is the tear (which caused the rupture in the first place) will get bigger. But if you get him to the vet in the morning he should be OK.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,164 Posts
I'm so sorry Michelle; at least this is not life threatening.

Do you feel comfortable following Susanne's instructions? Since it deflates itself, I would just wrap his neck in vet wrap and leave it wrapped for a while and then remove it and see if it has healed itself. I don't think you need to rush him to the vet for this one and you should not be so stressed about it. I wish you luck. :)

Go take a hot bath and relax.

As to the reason it is deflating on its own, my only guess could be that there is a pin point hole somewhere for the air to escape.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,909 Posts
It says in that thread that he could've stressed out and overinflated his crop...maybe after the vets? Since its not constant it could be related to his allergies as it was with that bird in the other thread.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't feel comfortable wrapping it because I can't see what area was affected anymore, and his crop is very full right now -- I don't want to cause aspiration from that. I think I'm just going to leave him alone for tonight and take him in tomorrow morning. I was supposed to call for the consult about the antihistamines anyway. The thing is, if I don't take him tomorrow, I can't until next Wednesday, and I don't want to just be worrying the whole time. I pretty much have no choice but to fail my exam at this point, though. I haven't even started studying. Not that that's important right now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just have a terrible feeling about this. I agree it's probably not life-threatening right now, but after the blood results I was all ready to be relieved and declare him healthy except for allergies. Now I'm thinking we were wrong, and this really is the beginning of a steep decline. :(
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,909 Posts
I don't know...that thread did mention allergies and that girl's bird's symptoms went away after she removed the sheet. Anything like that you can think of?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No. I have horrible allergies myself, so I think our environment is about as allergy-free as possible. But maybe if we put him on allergy meds, it would lessen the strain on his system. I just don't know. Things like this make me feel like I have to be in a panic about them all the time, because the SECOND I start feeling good, something horrible happens. (I know it doesn't really work like that, but that's how I'm feeling emotionally right now.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,164 Posts
I really think you need to take a step back and think about how this is affecting Sunny..it is not hurting him, it won't kill him, and it is fixable with time. I really think you should look at this that way. If I were in your situation, I would get some vet wrap and when you see it happen again you'll know what area to focus on. If you only wrap it loosely, it will not aspirate him and vet wrap is designed to stretch a little so a full crop will not hurt him if it is not wrapped extremely tight.

I know you and I both worry about our birds a little more than we should, but there are certain times that we need to analyze everything and just take a deep breath. You've got to balance everything: your school, work, birds, and worrying about them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,164 Posts
If there was any way I could put you at ease, I would do it for ya. I know you're going through an extremely stressful time and all of this piled together is really tough. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well it hasn't happened since I posted this thread, so I think I'm just going to put him to bed now. I wouldn't want to wrap it right before bed anyway, because I'd be afraid he'd freak with it on in the dark. Do you guys all think that I shouldn't take him in tomorrow morning? I don't have anything until my final at 4 tomorrow. I was planning to use that time to study, but I could take him instead. Friday I won't be home at all, so my concern is that if I miss the window to take him and then it gets bad again, that's a problem.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,909 Posts
I would say if you don't notice it again then to not take him to the vet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,164 Posts
I think you should calm down and focus on studying. I know it'll be tough to do while you're worrying about him, but I wouldn't take him unless he constantly had an inflated neck; as long as it is not inflated it is not causing any damage. Maybe you should restrict his flying to give it a chance to heal up on its own.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
He did seem a bit sleepier than usual today on the bird cam. But I assumed that was just because yesterday was super stressful. I don't know. Maybe I'll call and see what the vet thinks first thing, then decide.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think you should calm down and focus on studying. I know it'll be tough to do while you're worrying about him, but I wouldn't take him unless he constantly had an inflated neck; as long as it is not inflated it is not causing any damage. Maybe you should restrict his flying to give it a chance to heal up on its own.
I'm actually wondering if I should clip him, until we get his respiratory symptoms under control.
 
1 - 20 of 201 Posts
Top