1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
AWESOME!!!!:love:

·
Registered
627 Posts
Oh, my goodness. :D How cute is that? How'd you teach him?

·
Registered
551 Posts
What a smart little bird. :) My birds do the exact opposite of that trick and take stuff out of their toy box and throw it on the floor for me to clean up. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Siobhan: I used these videos to train him.
But if you have your birds clicker trained just start with some toys.
First teach them to touch/take the toy.
Then hold the toy over a metal bowl (the sound of the toy hitting the bowl is significant) and have the bird knock the toy out of your hand and into the bowl.
Then try to get them to pick the toy up off the table and put the toy into the bowl. To help with this step when Kirby picked up a piece I held the bowl under it so he would put it in. And eventually he just started doing it on his own.

If your bird is not yet clicker trained I would recommend starting with something easier like targeting or the wave and nodding yes or shaking head no. Once they understand that clicks mean treats then it's easier to get them to do the more complex things.

·
Registered
735 Posts
omg thats amazing!!

I had this pretty good book on training birds, gave it a go and the guys just didnt "get it" infact, they just hated it all together! haha so i gave up :p

what an amazing little guy you have there

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is awesome!
what an amazing little guy you have there
Thanks! I was very skeptical that he would catch on and when he did I was ecstatic!! :tiel1:
I think it's really helped us to bond. Just tonight I noticed his weight was low and he seemed sad so I ran through his tricks with him and he cheered right up. It's so cute that he's so eager to perform.

·
Registered
26 Posts
That just totally cheered me up :)

Kirby is amazing!

·
Registered
321 Posts
They need a lot of mental stimulation too, so this is very good for them. I might buy a clicker and try some games. I like the serving tray you used. Good idea!

·
Registered
97 Posts
He's very clever!

I love teaching my tiel tricks and currently he's learnt "come" (flies on command) "go" (returns to his cage on command), plays basketball with a miny ball and hoop, plays tick-tack-toe on a little board (no strategy, I win most of the time), fetch, ring on a peg, and we're currently learning to put coins in piggy bank.

Coctaiels are soooo smart and can learn limitless tricks it seems, I bought training DVDs wrom www.birdtricks.com and props for the tricks from www.parrotprots.net

Check out both sites, they're great! Especially birdtricks.com

1 - 15 of 15 Posts