Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A few years ago I joined this site and had my first cockatiel named Lila then I got a baby which I hand fed and his name was Sunny. A lot happened in my life and with much regret I found a new, but wonderful home for my babies. I regret that because I wish that I would of stuck it out with my birds, they were very special to me.

Anyways it's been a few years and with much thought, discussion with my husband we have decided to get a cockatiel again. I love cockatiels so much, I've held back so many times at pet stores from getting one again because I didn't want to not really be ready for one again. I looked around for some breeders and found a nice one about an hour away from me. She had babies that varied in age but where about 8 weeks, she was still hand feeding them and told me that they'd be ready in about 2 weeks. I had hand fed Sunny so I know what it's like and asked her if she'd be willing to let me finish hand feeding the baby that I picked out. She said yes, and I was SO excited! I love the bond that it forms when you hand feed a baby cockatiel.

So on Saturday I went to look at the babies and to pick one out. I got a whitefaces cockatiel. Not sure what the gender is yet but the breeder has done a DNA test and I'll know the results in about a week. I am so excited and I love him/her so much! We think it's a female but we're not 100% sure.

The first night that I got her she didn't eat any formula because she was pretty stressed out I think, from moving and being in a new environment. Yesterday she was still on her back perch, I was getting worried that she wasn't eating so I took some seeds in my hand and showed them to her, she slowly started eating them. It felt amazing to have her eat out of my hand :) I repeated that multiple times yesterday and each time when she was done, placed the seeds in her food dish so that she'd know where they were. Last night I tried hand feeding her, her formula again and this time around she happily ate, and she ate a lot while chirping away. This morning I offered her some more seeds and now with very little hesitation munched away at them, then I showed her food dish again and this time she started eating out of it and drinking water! :) I'm so happy! She's been eating off and on since then. She's a little shy but I'm pretty sure that comes from being so young and being moved to a new home.

Anyways I just thought that I'd introduce myself again and I look forward to participating on this site/forums again. :)

Here's a pic of her,

Maybe you guys can tell me whether you think she's a he or a she, I know it's extremely hard at this age, but it doesn't hurt to guess. She's pretty quiet for the most part.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
If it is over 9 months it is a female. If under than that it is a juvenille and will molt. When it molts it will either stay the same; or if it changes, it will get a white face and will lose its tail barring and wing spots..this will mean it is a male.

This is pretty accurate for sexing juvenille cockatiels:
http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=18307

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Congratulatons on your new family member. Our little darling has been with us for 1 week today. We are unsure if our bird is male or female yet. But a little darling thing it is.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone! :) bjknight93, she/he is only 8 weeks old so I guess it's a big mystery what he/she is until I get the DNA test result back. Scribbles Monte Carlo is adorable too!!! Man aren't cockatiels some good looking birds!? :) I love my baby already so much! I can't wait until she's all settled in and less frightened. Every day is better than the last that's for sure tho.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts