Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm from England and I'm looking at getting a cockatiel bird for my fiance as she loves birds, we also have two budgies that we've had for 3+ years.

I'm fairly confident with keeping the bird from what I have researched with regards to their diet, cage, health issues to look out for, attention they require, toys etc however there are still some holes in my knowledge.

I'm going to assume that the new bird should be kept in the spare bedroom for four to five weeks in quarantine (the two budgies are in the dining room downstairs). However I'm unsure how to introduce the new tiel' to budgies; should I keep the budgies in their cage while the tiel' is free, other way round or both free at the same time? I've read that budgies and tiels' can get on but I'd like to make sure that I get it right first time around.

Is there any advice this forum can give me regarding taking on new tiel' having not kept one before? We both have the time and commitment to look after it but I'd like to make as few mistakes as possible!

·
Registered
10,776 Posts
A good way to introduce them would be to start out with the cages in the same room and all birds in their own cage, so they can just look at each other for a while. When the time feels right, you can open the cages and let them decide what to do next. Or just open the cockatiel's cage, if the budgies are already familiar with the room and the tiel isn't, and vice versa if it's a room that the tiel knows and the budgies don't. A bird that's on its home turf will have an advantage over a bird that's in an unfamiliar place, and we'd like for them to start out on an equal footing as much as possible.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts