Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey there just wondering is it alright to give tiels kellogs corn flakes brekky cereal?? OR any other cereal?? to nibble on? :)
if so what can they eat ?? lol:blink:

xx thanks guys.

·
Registered
109 Posts
hey there just wondering is it alright to give tiels kellogs corn flakes brekky cereal?? OR any other cereal?? to nibble on? :)
if so what can they eat ?? lol:blink:

xx thanks guys.
My tiel likes cereal so yeah. It's possible for some tiels to munch cereal and oats.:yes:
But they are kinda dehydrating to tiels. :yes: After my tiel eats cereal or oats, he rushes to the container of water and drinks heavily.

·
Registered
290 Posts
A bit of bird safe things here now and then do not hurt them. It is only when we give it all the time it can be a problem if. as mentioned, lots of salt and additives are in them. I tend to just stick with their seed, pellets veges grains, different sprouts. Mine don't want to try what I am eating so this makes it easier.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Regular Cheerios, and Whole Grain Cheerios are fine for birds, theres a few others but i can't remember which off the top of my head, because we only use those 2 types of cheerios we mix a box in a 50 pound bag of seed for ours

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
i also give mine puffed wheat and rice krispies like mentioned before just look for the amount of sodium and sugar the lower the better

·
Registered
168 Posts
Mine are pretty keen on wholegrain bread - toasted or otherwise. Don't give too much due to preservatives, sugar and salt. Actually, I make them a bread which is safe.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks alot for that guys! :) ok so its ok in moderation aslong as its real healthy. cause chicken always trys to eat my weetbix and cornflakes in the morning whenever i try eat em he dives in the bowl! SO Just seein whats safe and whats not:) LOL. X

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
like i allreadys said all you have o check is the sugar content and sodium they will go for any cereal but only the low sugar a few examples are frosted flakes also try not to let them have milk or dairy with the exception of scrambled egg or hard bolied egg

·
Registered
8 Posts
You also have to watch the vitamin content in some of these breakfast cereals as well. The amount of vitamins can sometimes be higher than is safe for tiels if they are eating the cereal regularly.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have what may be a silly but related question.

I have feed Cheerios to my tiels and I have also feed chopped mixed frozen veggies after defrosting them and other things like fresh hulled Pumpkin seeds and mixed baby salad greens as well as julienned Carrots. But the biggest problem isn't whether it is good for them or even if they will eat them but what to do about the Tiels dropping the small pieces down between the grating of the cage floor?

I already place some of these goodies in large Glass bowls but the pick up individual kernels and mouth them and twirl them in their beaks with their Tongues and drop them even before they get much of the actual food.

Do any of you have any suggestions to help? they do get some of the stuff but i scrap more from the collection tray then they ever ingest.

BUDDY

·
Registered
108 Posts
BAK pointed out my thoughts--- the vitamin content, and the metals (iron, zinc) can be problamatic if offered too much... for me, I might let them eat a single cheerio once in a while.

BuddyD... might I suggest your start a new thread for this so you get more replies. I keep my guys pellets in a dish with a cover (JW clean cups) and that helps keep most of the flying pellets contained....
Seed, I keep in a hamster bowl on the floor of the cage... and I only give them about a 1/2 a coffee scoop of seed a day... and I guess because its limited they are more careful with it. lol.
I wish you luck, but its good exercise and fun for them to shell seeds & unfortunately they will drop some.
Do they like sprouted seeds?

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
I'll have to buy cheerios next time I go to the shops, no doubt they'll eat them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts