Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! One of my males, Gary, is a noticeably lighter gray then either of the two normals I have. In real life light, he appears to have a light yellow wash, his face is brighter, and his crest has barely any gray in it. I don't know bird genetics, but I think I understand that if a bird is carrying a recessive, it will show by modifying the Normal color very slightly.

Also, I saw it mentioned that eye color in the flash means something in regards to splits? Idk if it will show here (if I can get the picture to load) but the center of his eye is pink in the flash.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,610 Posts
hes not a grey. he is a male cinnamon split pearl. or maybe visual pearl. do his tail feathers have any yellow mottling in them? cinnamons have a red eye flash. male split cinnamons can too, but your bird is a visual cinnamon. that is why his face is brighter yellow, why he has a yellower suffusion to him, and why he is a lighter grey :)

see the feather at the bottom of the collage? like that.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! There isn't any yellow on the tail feathers like what you have pictured though. Is it only cinnamons that flash pink?

·
Registered
13,610 Posts
fallows can too, but hes not quite the right colour for fallow, so im going with a visual cinnamon. if his tail feathers are all solid he is split to pearl.

·
Registered
10,899 Posts
It looks to me like he's also split to whiteface and pied (assuming that those are yellow feathers on the back of his head, and not just a little disarray letting some of his "underwear" show through).

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I was wondering about those feathers on the head. I'm pretty sure that's the actual feathers color.

What visuals let you determine if it's split whiteface vs. visual cinnamon?

·
Registered
10,899 Posts
If the yellow mask is very pale along the outer edge of the cheek spot, that's a sign of a whiteface split. So is an irregularly shaped cheek spot or streaky yellow color through the cheek spot.

Whiteface and cinnamon are completely separate mutations, so he can be visual cinnamon and split whiteface at the same time. One doesn't interfere with the other.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I've included a couple other pictures.

1st picture shows that both males have pink eyes in flash.
2nd picture, is this the white edge to next to the check spot. (Both males?)
3rd picture, shows Gary again, does the trailing yellow allow the outside feather on his wing mean anything regarding what he is? There aren't any spackles. Toward the end of his tail feathers it starts to yellow out more, but they are very often in their water dish.

tielfan, thanks for explaining that to me.

4th picture, a close up of the back of Gary's head, pretty confident now they aren't ruffled feathers.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,899 Posts
It looks like both males are split whiteface.

The yellowish edge on the wing feather doesn't mean anything.

I don't think he has a pied tickmark after all. He does have what looks like mixed yellow/gray feathers, especially near his crest, but I think these are just part of his cinnamon male coloration; it's typical to have mixed yellow and grey in the crest feathers. A pied feather is an all-yellow feather with no grey in it at all.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So Gary is probably a Visual Cinnamon split Whiteface split pearl, and Karl is a split cinnamon split whiteface?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts