Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i let jo jo out to fly well she doesn't fly when i let her ut she clings to me lol, so i now have a system where i put jojo on top of the cage then call her and she fly towards me or in my direction anyway seem to zig zag,

now im no expert in field fly but it look clumsy and often i have to put my hand in her way so she land on it, like she doesn't always make the target? is this normal or just her playing? r could it be site problems, or should i stop worrying ?

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
:lol: My theory is that tiels are dorks and they don't use their brain as often as they should. My tiels often display what you're describing, i wouldn't worry about it. I expect she'll get more talented as she gets older, mine were way worse as babies.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i am actually received thank you for answering so quickly, i was already to ring the vet

so its her age and she will get better , i just found she would come t climb all over me ocasionaly flap to my shoulder, but wasn't flying then i put her back in and she would flap like mad and want to fly, so i thought ok i will get you to fly so once i realized she flew to me i did this, i don't do it often she she seems a bit puffed which must be due to her age right? she also sneezes on me which is not nice lol i tend to say bless you lol

ok so just help the baby a bit more with practise

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
The flapping without flying is a way for them to exercise their wings. :D She's probably getting puffed from flying because she's out of practice. She'll get more fit the more she practices.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok :D i do have to rember she is still a baby, and just like babies need to learn to walk they need to leanr to fly, maybe if i go a bit closer to her might help a bit

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Like Bea said, she will get stronger the more she flies. Tiels aren't the most elegant of flyers anyway, they are forever crash landing and smacking into walls, windows etc. A lot of accidents can happen like that, so they have to be watched.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
this is why i am am teaching him to land on me so i always raise a hand above my head, most of the time get gets to my arm after doing zig zags some night he just decides he doesn't want to :D like tonight he just wanted a good old flap so i let him, once minnie goes back to school i am gonna try teaching tricks and learning commands like step up, i think now we have bonded it will make it easier or at least i hope so, i will do one at time for 15 minutes then let him play for 15 minutes, he will get there :D just time and patients

·
Registered
157 Posts
My little Spike took forever to learn how to fly properly For the firs six months he actually flew backwards silly thing just would not put his body straight so he would try to fly with his body horrizontal instead of vertical and he would fly backwards funnyest thing you ever seen. He's finally got it right. I think he learned from my Green cheeked Conure.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
backwards aww bless him, she is getting there bless her i will train her daily and hopefully onw day we will get cage to my hand in a nce gracfull movement lol,

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
A backwards flying tiel, that is something I would like to see :p Spike is a great flyer, he can turn on a dime in the air. Iam sure that in time Jo jo will learn how to fly well :)

·
Queen of the Pieds
2,706 Posts
Chico flew backwards too as a baby.....would look at me to fly to me then go backwards.....then he would land on his tail feathers and break them.....once or twice after landing he would bounce on his tail feathers too....lol.....I couldn't help but laugh as I went to save him...

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
aww bless, so jojo is in fact doing veyr well flying fawards lol she is getting there just sometimes she misses me and then goes mad around the living room lol, i do laugh at least i dont have to worrie about her i was worried that he might have something wrong with his sight or balance lol

get me how daft am i worrying all the time lol

·
Queen of the Pieds
2,706 Posts
nah ur not daft...ur a mommy or mummy depending where you are lol....i think we all worry about things others wouldn't worry about and think we are silly but it's just because of how much we love our little fids and even the ppl with heaps of birds worry...let alone us with a handful lol....im sure as jojo gets older she will sort it all out....i guess its a 50/50 as to whether you limit her chance to fly or let her fly as much as possible to practice....as you can see we've all had tiel flying issues as babies so I wouldn't worry too much for a bit yet

·
Queen of the Pieds
2,706 Posts
my pleasure....im not the most knowledgable tiel owner so i totally understand the worrying every time something new happens....you're doing great im sure...we're just so lucky to have this forum where we an ask and someone who has been through what we are worrying about can give us advice

1 - 16 of 16 Posts