Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday we met with the owner of the hotel hubs and I were offered a management position for. We already had the job, but met to actually meet, discuss how we want our apartment set up because they are going to turn 2 or 3 rooms into an apartment for us, salary, what the job will entail, etc. When we looked the place up online, it said it is pet free. Because of the last place we were in and this one both being pet free, I was hoping he'd be okay with Joey, but still worried.

He is quite fine with Joey living there! YAY! I didn't realize I was holding my breath for weeks until I heard him say it was no problem to have a bird. I honestly don't remember a lot that was said for the 10 or so minutes after that, because I was so relieved and overjoyed. :D It would have left the tough choice of declining the job, or making the tough decision of letting Joey stay with mom for the duration of the job, which could be years. I know he would be well cared for and loved, but I'd miss him horribly.

The job starts May 1, so we will be moving at the end of April, probably the 3rd week or so. They can't start on our apartment until they actually take over, so we will be in a room for the first few weeks. It will be a bit cramped for those few weeks, but we can have our own bed and tv so that will help and we will be getting used to the job so time will fly.

Now comes the fun of getting my car hating baby the 2 hours and 28 minutes (according to Google Maps) to his new home. He's only had 2 car rides and hated them both. The first one, hubs left him in his box and talked to him all the way home because my best bud took him to the pet shop an hour away, while I was at work. The second one was moving here, 12 miles from where we were. He was in his cage, covered, and hubs had to be under his cover with him, talking to him to keep him settled. That long of a distance could be an adventure.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Congratulations on your new job, but especially being able to take Joey with you. That is always a relief isn't it? Do you have a travel cage? When we take Milo with us, we cover his cage except in the front, and put him where he can see me. I also put the radio on a talk show, or use a book on CD, not too loud, and it seems to soothe him. Just a thought. Hopefully he will make the trip just fine. Oh and a spray of millet usually helps too :p

·
Registered
885 Posts
Congratulations on the new job! Sounds like a pretty amazing deal, especially considering you can take your boy with you!

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Congrats on your new job! Hope everything goes well ! Have a nice ride Joey! Hugs and kisses from Brazil Teresa X x

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We don't have a travel cage, but have been pricing them. We also have the option of taking part of his flight cage off so that it is smaller and will fit in the car easily, and be a little more cozy for him. I'm already planning on giving him a full spray of millet for the trip, and his current fave toy, which he is happily destroying bit by bit. :D

I never thought about talk radio or an audio book. Both are great ideas. I was thinking maybe filling the mp3 player with Judas Priest and The Ramones since he loves both. :D

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Congrats and good luck!! :)

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Judas Priest and Ramones ! It cannot get any better than this. Gabba Gabba Hey !!! X x
He also loves Megadeth and Ray Charles, but those two seem to be his current 'best' faves. :D

Thanks everyone! The job deal really is amazing. On top of salary, we will have no rent, electric bill, water bill, cable or internet bill. All of that is paid by the hotel, since our apartment will be with the rest of the place for all of them. It would have been impossible to pass up, but impossible to leave my boy in his grandma's capable hands, so this worked out perfectly.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tomorrow is the big day. We know he is aware something is up, from all the activity, boxes being packed and stacked around, and the fact he has been looking at a travel cage for the last week.

He's not a fan of riding in the car, but we are giving him his fave toys in the travel cage, and a full spray of millet instead of the usual 1-2 inch long piece he usually gets, along with his food and water. Hubs will also be sitting in the back seat with him.

I feel for him though. In addition to not liking car rides, he has been largely uncaged for the last 2 months, and now he has to endure a smaller cage and a 2 1/2 hour drive at the same time. Plus we are starting back to work* after the move, so he will have to be caged about 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. He was fine in he past when we were working, with toys and his radio while we were gone. I just feel bad since he's had so much freedom lately.

*We knew we were moving for this job, so we took some time off to relax and enjoy life for a bit, pack, and get ready for the move.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I used to have the same problem with Kirby

Can I suggest something to get him used to car rides? Maybe you can take him on several short ones before the big one. Kirby used to hate car rides; he would completely freak out of his mind. Here's what I did with him:

When I'd gotten his harness, I was worried about him getting tangled up and hurt while in his carrier, because he always freaked out on car rides. So, driving very slowly, very carefully, and taking the side roads, I would drive with him on my shoulder. He actually greatly enjoyed car rides after this, and would especially love to come to the pharmacy with me to drop off and pick up prescriptions so that he could yell at the pharmacist :lol:

Just today, I had to take him to Fallen Feathers because of a wing injury (which ended up being fine and dandy :)). I didn't want to keep him on my shoulder 1 because he was injured and 2 because I was in a hurry (had lots of schoolwork to do) and wanted to be able to take the freeway. So I just forewent the use of the harness and put him in his carrier in the backseat, with my laptop case standing on the floor of the car and my lapdesk on the other seat to keep him sort of boxed in, so he wouldn't slide around. I was expecting him to be crying and yelling his head off, and to hear him clambering all over his cage (especially since he couldn't see me), but to my surprise he did just fine! Because of all the shoulder trips where he could snuggle up to my neck if he got scared, he was able to get over his fear of car rides!

Also, when it comes to the carrier, I wouldn't go all out and get something expensive. Safety is the first thing! In my personal opinion, I wouldn't get anything with perches because if you had to slam on the breaks or turn sharply for some reason I feel like the bird could fall off the perch and hurt himself. I just have a small cat carrier for Kirby with towels on the inside for him to grip with his claws to prevent him from sliding around.

Good luck with your move, and congrats on the job!! It's so great you got to take Joey with you :clap:

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Glad to hear Kirby's wing was okay! :)

I was surprised and pleased to see Joey enjoyed about 95% of this trip. :) The travel cage must have felt safer and cozier. Last trip was only 20 minutes, so we left him in his cage. Since then we have gotten him a flight cage which doesn't fit in our car. With all the toys we put in, it must have felt even cozier. Hubs sat beside him and talked to him. He noticed as long as his sleeve was where Joey could see it, he was happy.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I was surprised and pleased to see Joey enjoyed about 95% of this trip. :) The travel cage must have felt safer and cozier. Last trip was only 20 minutes, so we left him in his cage. Since then we have gotten him a flight cage which doesn't fit in our car. With all the toys we put in, it must have felt even cozier. Hubs sat beside him and talked to him. He noticed as long as his sleeve was where Joey could see it, he was happy.
Yay!! Glad to know everything went okay :)

·
Registered
878 Posts
Just catching up a bit and saw this thread. Glad everything worked out and you can keep Joey! :D

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It was an amazing relief to have the owner say he could live here. Not only is the place a pet free hotel (their reasoning is because so many people have allergies), but if he was noisy he'd disturb guests. Once we have our apartment in a few weeks, all should be fine. Even now, in just a room, he can't really be heard all that much from outside the door. He was having a fantastic sing, and I barely heard him when I was in the hall.

I'm still convinced it was the security of the small travel cage that calmed him. That and hubby's sleeve. I can only guess it was the fact dad was close, since it was just a sage green t-shirt from some bar in Key West, FL and nothing spectacular.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Happy a special exception was made for you to keep Joey. You would have missed Joey's company, I'm sure, and Joey yours, even though he would have been well cared for. Now you'll stay together as a family :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts