Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Jessica is about a year and a half and this weekend has laid 2 eggs. She lives with Noo a male and they are bonded but I do not want to breed them and certainly do not want baby tiels. It would devastate them to seperate them. I just am not sure as to what to do to stop this. I have taken anything away that looks remotely like a nest and have taken up the floor coverings as Noo made nests out of those everyday. They get plenty of sleep time too.

Have you guys any ideas to discourage this without having to seperate them.

By the way Ive discarded the eggs.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh thank you so much. I didn't replace the eggs no maybe I should have done. What with? Sorry I have no experience at all with breeding birds.

Actually they will be having a change of scene at the weekend. My house has been flooded and they are upstairs but are moving back down this weekend so that may help Im hoping.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
If she lays anymore just take the eggs and shake them it will stop anything from developing and then let her sit on them till she loses interest, the other option is to get fake eggs and replace them with her eggs I have no idea where you would get fake eggs I have never seen them any where around here.
A change of scenery will be good for them it might be enough to discourage her from laying anymore eggs :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you :)

The only thing was that the eggs were cracked already so I suppose I could have left them I will next time. I may have a look about for fake ones in the meantime.

Thanks for you advice.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Yeah if the eggs are cracked or broken I would remove them and try and replace them with fake ones
I wanted to add as well make sure she is getting enough veggies, cuttlebone, and mineral block while she is laying eggs to keep her healthy.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Laura gave some good advice. Just either boil and cool the eggs and then place them back or get plastic ones. If this is her first clutch she probably won't lay more then two more or so. You'll know if anymore are on the way since her poop will be quite large before she lays it. It'll be every other day so watch for signs of her becoming egg bound to make sure all goes smoothly. You did the right thing by removing all material that might look like nesting material. She'll sit on them for two-three weeks and then realize they are no good and will slowly stop. Remove one egg at a time after that until none are left. Change around their cage, perches, toys, bowls, and location. Also, make sure they are getting 12 hrs of dark time. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
LOL!! It is better eating too much than, eating too little :) and being hungry.
Back On Subject- :D If you get eggs that are unwanted, just shake them and place them back, they will lose interest, and leave them :p

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
:eek: I wouldn't have thought Jess was the type to lay eggs. You've been given good advice by everyone here, shake anymore eggs she lays really really well and just put them back for her to get bored of. :) She should get bored and abandon them eventually.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I guess if she is gonna lay any more tomorrow will be the day fingers crossed guys . Pray for no eggs no eggs no eggs :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well when I got home from work there was egg number 3 - smashed again, she is obviously laying them from her perch :(

Today I am going to buy fake eggs and if she lays again I will quickly remove it and replace with the fake one.

·
Registered
581 Posts
well at least she has a loving mum!
just keep giving her calcium supplements, and do the fake egg thing, and i think everything will be all right!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts