Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Just wondering how often a Cockatiel is supposed to clean himself because I just got my new bird from a Breeder and he seems to clean himself a lot (at least this morning) She didn't give him his shots. I would appreciate any comments about vaccinations for my Cockatiel etc...He also has a bald spot on the top of his head so I am not sure if another baby plucked it all out or if its not grown in? Its the only spot. He is supposedly 3 months old. (I am just calling him a he). I just don't want to get hurt because I love him so much and its only been 2 days! I want him to live a maximum life span and cherish him daily. Please help. :)

Any thoughts please

Thanks everyone, have a great day and enjoy your pet! Family member I should say! :)

·
Registered
307 Posts
Hey guys,

Just wondering how often a Cockatiel is supposed to clean himself because I just got my new bird from a Breeder and he seems to clean himself a lot (at least this morning) She didn't give him his shots. I would appreciate any comments about vaccinations for my Cockatiel etc...He also has a bald spot on the top of his head so I am not sure if another baby plucked it all out or if its not grown in? Its the only spot. He is supposedly 3 months old. (I am just calling him a he). I just don't want to get hurt because I love him so much and its only been 2 days! I want him to live a maximum life span and cherish him daily. Please help. :)

Any thoughts please

Thanks everyone, have a great day and enjoy your pet! Family member I should say! :)

Hello,,At 2 days he's not settled into a routine yet. Give him time, as long
as you give him the correct diet etc. He's in no danger of dying....
Every bird is an individual so self grooming, 'preening' is something each
bird does as & when they feel like it.
Why would you think he requires shots???
His bald spot will be re-covered as his new feathers grow...

Please let us have more info on his diet. cage etc & what are your plans
are for the future.....Above all don't worry.......B.J.

·
Registered
13,610 Posts
is he a lutino or pearl? if so, the bald spot will likely stay as it is likely genetic and is very common in both those mutations.

the preening, might just be fine :) birds preen when they are comfortable, so its a good sign in a new home. however watch out for excessive itching. if he is itching a lot, you might want to have him vet checked for parasites such as lice, mites, and even protozoa like giardia. birds need their feathers to stay warm, waterproof, and to be able to fly, so they will spend a lot of time preening and caring for their plumage.

vaccines generally arent needed for birds, as most of them are brand new and still basically under study. there isnt many vaccinations even available for birds either, so it's not really done. so dont worry on the shots either, they only have very few vaccines out there and theres no guarantee they work well.

Bird Junky, please stick to the topics at hand, your post was relatively irrelevant to the OP's questions. Caging and diet have little to do with any of their questions. The only relevant information in your post was explaining the preening and individual birds.... Please stay on topic for future reference. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you

Thank you for your help! I notice that Jazz is scratching with his talons too besides feather stuff, more than a couple times a day and I am not sure how often he should be scratching. I realize now that he will probably be cleaning himself a lot more than I thought, but I am concerned about the mites and parasite possibilities. I think my Cockatiel is Lutino. I am not sure of what the exact mutations are. He is yellow with red cheeks?

Thank you for any replies and thoughts. Bless you and have a good night! :)

·
Registered
378 Posts
I don't know much about mites or parasites, but i can give some info on Munchkin's preening habits for a bit of a comparison on normal cockatiel preening.

Munchkin spends a few hours preening each day, usually in half hour blocks or so, which seems to be part of her daily routine. She likes to look pretty. Once you've had him a bit longer you'll know what's a normal amount of preening for him, so it will be easier to pick up on anything out of the ordinary. They do preen a lot more when they're moulting, so it could be he's coming up to his first one. Munchkin started her first moult around 3.5 months. From what I've heard this is on the early side, but not all cockatiels are the same.

She also scratches her head with her toenails, as well as other places she can't reach with her beak to preen. It looks like what a dog does when scratching behind it's ears. It sounds like that's what your little one is doing if it's happening around the same time he's preening. If he's tame, you can try rubbing around his head and neck with your fingertip to 'help'. It's great for bonding, and most cockatiels really enjoy it.

You might also notice he sticks his toenails up his nose, and then sneezes sometimes after preening. I was alarmed when I saw this at first, but it just means they've gotten some dust up there during their preening session.

Congrats on your new baby :)

·
Registered
13,610 Posts
they itch a few times a day. sarahjayne's post should be very helpful :)

sounds like he is a lutino, which means the bald spot is genetic and wont go away. it's nothing to worry about, it is a genetic trait in lutinos that is hard to breed out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts