Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jack & Jill (who were given to me by my sister and been in a cage for 4 years) have decided they want to try their luck at reproduction.

Jack has been chewing out one of the nesting holes and Jill is very interested in the nest, she sits on the perch while Jack is inside the nest gnawing.

I don't know how that will pan out as Jack is at least 10 years old and Jill I am not sure of, my sister had them both for 4 years but they were given to her by someone else. Jack has a band on his leg that has 07 stamped on it so I am assuming that was his hatch date.

Is there any age limit to cockatiels breeding?

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Cockatiel hens generally stop breeding between the ages of 10-12 years. Cocks last a little longer - at least until they're 15. My retired breeding pair stopped literally at the 10 year mark even though they went through the motions of breeding. Their eggs were infertile and they generally lost interest in babies.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well it's been a bit hit and miss, one of the other males attacked Jill and hurt her leg so we have been tending to that, I have now separated Jack & Jill into their own cage, built them their own nesting box and remodelled their whole cage environment and obviously it has worked because today I actually caught them "doing the deed" both of them have been going in the nesting box and Jack has chewed all around the outside of the entry way. So lets see where this takes us.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Honestly, it's the hen who usually stops reproducing. They get to an age where they can no longer produce eggs anymore. I had a breeder in California tell me his most prolific male tiel was 19 yrs old and still going strong. Sounded like the Hugh Heffner of tiels to me lol. Are you going to candle the eggs to see if they're fertile?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jill laid three eggs, sat on them diligently for about a week, stopped sitting and Jack ate the eggs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts