Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week through my own clumsy opening of the cage I lost two cockatiels.
Then a couple of days later my sister rang me and asked me if I could rehome her two cockatiels.

So long journey to Brassall and I took possession of Jack & Jill.

I don't know a lot about cockatiels, but I think Jack is a white face and Jill is a white face pearl. Jack has a leg band on and I have no idea of how to read it, but it has 07 on it so I am assuming that was when he was hatched. Jill doesn't have a band but my sister said they were given to her about 4 years ago.

They are so pretty, I have them in a cage against the wire of the aviary so they can see and whistle at the others, eventually I hope I can put them in with the others.

Jack wolf whistles and my sister said he was tame at one time, but she never handled him. So maybe I can retame him. Got lots of reading to do on how to do that. But it's all good.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
LOL - Cockatiels are like potato chips - can't stop at just one! :D Congrats on the arrival of Jack and Jill :)

·
Registered
325 Posts
Just be careful not to take on too many. Check out cockatielcottage.net some of the information is a little outdated (saying pellet based diets are best when really cockatiels should have more seeds than pellets). But overall it's a great site.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not really hooked as such but I am a bit of a rescue ranger when it comes to animals, I have rescued cats, dogs & chickens. People know I am always willing to help an animal in need so I get these phone calls and I have a hard time saying no....

Yes 20 may seem to be a lot but I have acreage and big aviary with room to extend if need be.

I have been feeding them a mix of mostly seed, some veggies/fruit egg biscuit mix and pellets. Plus they get chickweed, garden greens, pine cones to chew as well as cuttle fish bone.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think you are HOOKED hahaha
Maybe keep the new birds separate for a few weeks to quarantine them just in case
Yes I have Jack and Jill in their own cage, near but not in the aviary so they can become familiar with the others. I will keep them in there until everyone is comfortable with each other.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts