Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So go Ringo over a month before getting Lucy so had time to work with him. No he is amazing - so smart, clever, learning rules and tricks quickly. She, Lucy, seems a bit dim. She just eats and doesn't seem to learn anything. Also he does not like her or does she him.

I've only EVERY owned one parrot - always male - now I have two. They both want to be on me constantly and get jealous of the attention I give the other. I'm good with parrots - having hand reared a white cockatoo, a red tailed black cockatoo and an galah - but now having two and one is so smart and the other seems kind of thick mentally! Anyone else have this problem? I know a lot of you own numerous parrots so do you find yourself favouring one over the other?

·
Registered
92 Posts
You may want another male instead. Otherwise you may have to learn to appreciate the female in a different light to the male, effectively treating her like a different creature that is just as wonderful in her own right.

She is never going to be as talented as the male in speaking and perhaps even picking up tricks but she is gentler, quieter and sweeter and that is her qualities as opposed to the male.

I have two cockatiels, one whom i thought intially was a bit dim. But now i see that she just likes to take her time and think a lot , bit like a cat - she does her own thing and is happy, and i am happy that she's happy

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that advice. I wrote that a bit drunk so bad grammar and spelling errors! Sorry!

She is very sweet but just SO different from him. My partner just does not like her at all and will not handle her, so I have to do the kind thing and play with her even though she seems kind of dim. I've NEVER had a parrot like that before. They have always been smart, personality, learn things - now I have her and I just think she was dropped on her head as a youngling? My male Ringo is not that keen on her ether - she bullies him all the time.

We are honestly tempted to sell her and I do not want to but my partner does. I know I can work with her I think.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
How old is Lucy? Sounds like you are describing a very young cockatiel.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Why would you sell your cockatiel just because she doesn't seem as smart as the other one? That's really harsh. She's probably not even slow, she's just got a different personally and she sounds loving so I really don't see what the problem is here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts