Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cosmo has been such a good birdy! We just love him and are so proud of him :)

He finally grew back his flight feathers and is a flying pro now. He loves flying back and forth from his cage to our tv in the living room. My boyfriend HATES that Cosmo's new "perch spot" is the tv, but he is going to have to deal lol.
I have been working on a whistle call for Cosmo to come to me. Sometimes it works, most of the time it doesn't. But Cosmo wants to be wherever I am so we'll eventually get it down.
But if I put my hand or arm up he will land on me a lot of the times. He always will fly to our built in shelf by the mirror to be next to me when I'm doing my make up. The other day made me realize how much he loves me and is now bonded to me. I let him out and I started walking to the bathroom to shut the toilet lid (bird proofing) and he flew into the hallway to follow me and landed on my arm when I put it out for him.
We have a small house so we are visible to his cage in the dining room when we are in the bedroom. This morning I opened his cage door and went to lay in bed to watch tv. Here comes Cosmo flying into my room to land right on me to hang out! He would fly to his spot on top of the dresser mirror or our tv on the wall then would fly down to land on my hand or head to come hang with me while I watch tv and chill. It's seriously amazing to think 11 months ago he was such a scared hand shy bird and now we are his "flock" he loves so much.

Also he is talking more! I have a video of him saying "Hey birdy birdy bird!" I taught him to whistle jingle bells a week ago. It was so funny the one night he was doing his evening call and my boyfriend who was recording music said I had to do something about it because it's ear piercing. So I took Cosmo out and held him close to my heart (I think he likes my heart beat) and tell me why Cosmo stops his call and starts whistling Jingle Bells to me! We both laughed because it was so cute then Cosmo started mimicking us laughing!
He loves to sing his little heart out to me when I take him out and I'll sit there and listen and enjoy his little songs. He has grew into the sweetest bird, it's amazing what a little kindness and respect can do for a scared animal. He even loves our guest that comes over and will proudly show off his tricks, talking, and whistles to them.
Thanks for reading me tooting the Cosmo horn, I'm just so proud of my baby boy and how good he is ;)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
There is one thing I do need a little advice for. Sometimes when he flys around and then lands he looks very stressed out. His head gets skinny and breathes really hard like he is in panic mode. I try to calmly talk to him and let him know it's okay, but I feel so bad because I don't know how to help him. He will get real flighty out of nowhere and fly around crazy and then seemed panicked, I will try to have him on the couch with me or with me and he will take off and keep flying around all crazy

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
I'm not sure the answer to your question, but I am so happy to hear how far he has progressed in his time with you.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Oh hooray! I'm so glad to read this update!

Sometimes Murray flies around madly for fun. She also flaps her wings on the spot and bat-wings, her crest up, all skinny and out of breath just as you described. She usually does it in the morning when she's excited and happy for the new day. Perhaps Cosmo is just playing like this and you're not used to it because he's only just learned to fly like a pro?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts