Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really want to make some new homemade toys. Has anybody had any success? It is so hard to find bird safe products for toys

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi, Allison -

Funny you should ask now - I've just been looking into this too! I found several websites that sell bird toy parts - a Google search for that phrase brings up a bunch.

I've also used popsicle sticks sold for crafting, pony beads, and hemp cord to make really simple swings that they can chew up. Use some food coloring to color the sticks if you don't want them quite so plain.

Of course, Atticus also likes to shred plain old toilet paper rolls, lol!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help! I really appreciate it. Since I posted this question I have found this website mentioned in other post on this website. It seems to have a little bit of everything all in one place. https://www.mysafebirdstore.com

But I also love the idea of using popsicle sticks and toilet paper rolls that I will easily already have :)

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
homemade toys

I like that site, too! One thing I have done with Bennie is use strips of plain white paper towels wrapped around treats. He has to "find" them. Also, pine or spruce cones make good free toys. You can stuff treats in between the scales. Don't use the ones with the real sticky resin, though. Eastern Hemlock (not the same as poison hemlock!) has cute tiny cones for bird toys.

·
Registered
3 Posts
There are a lot of ideas for DIY toys. I've been looking for several in Pinterest and some other webpages like http://petdiys.com/pets/birds/?post_type=post for example.

The materials I have bought for DIY toys are wood, cotton string, sticks of different sizes, wooden beads,buttons, straws, popsicle sticks, and plenty of sisal rope. I found most of my supplies at a handicraft supply store. You just have to check that whatever you are getting is not toxic for humans and that it does not smell of chemicals.

I've been putting together a playgym (photos of my progress attached) for my Fuyu and made some ladders with sticks and string, chew toys with buttons/beads/straws/, foraging toys with small cardboard boxes filled with treats and hamster bedding paper, and sisal nets so far.

You could also check out Flock-Talk's channel in youtube; she has a playlist with a few DIY ideas for foraging toys among other stuff as well as training tips.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts