Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I'm Sarah, I like in Elizabeth, CO. I'm interested in adopting a cockatiel and I have discovered that I don't really know where to look for a reputable breeder and hand-fed or friendly cockatiels. I reached out to Avila Aviary in Franktown, CO but unfortunately she has a waiting list. I have also looked at the Gabriel Foundation, which is a non-profit bird sanctuary in Elizabeth, CO but they only seem to have pairs of cockatiels. This is a problem because my housing dictates that I only have 1 animal. Are there any other reputable sources that anyone knows of in Colorado or in surrounding states? Thank you!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I did some research and found a couple of places so I'm going to post them for anyone who is looking in Colorado as well!

Here's the general price range and name of breeders and rescues in Colorado as on Spring 2021:

Avila Aviary (Franktown, CO): $200-300
*recognized by the national society of cockatiel owners

The Gabriel Foundation (Elizabeth, CO): $80-150
*this is an amazing place but it is a rescue so their availability is spotty, they have so many other kinds of birds too!

Avalon Aviary (Loveland, CO): $359 with DNA sex
*adoption interviews and process but are willing to work with you if you are far away

Exotic Birds Denver (Denver, CO): males $435, females $399
*definitely the most expensive

For the Love of Birds (Denver, CO): $309
*allows you to put yourself on the wait list with a non refundable deposit and its first come first serve. Has a lot of birds and mutations

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hello Sarah, I live in Texas and have had several years experience with cockatiels. I have 7 females and 5 males.While I really hope you find the bird your looking for I have NEVER heard of cockatiel prices THAT high from our very best breeders here in Tx. That's more along the lines of prices for conures.......which I also have 2 male sun conures. There both actually brothers! You might also try bird rescues in your area if you have any. Keep us posted and good luck.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I did some research and found a couple of places so I'm going to post them for anyone who is looking in Colorado as well!

Here's the general price range and name of breeders and rescues in Colorado as on Spring 2021:

Avila Aviary (Franktown, CO): $200-300
*recognized by the national society of cockatiel owners

The Gabriel Foundation (Elizabeth, CO): $80-150
*this is an amazing place but it is a rescue so their availability is spotty, they have so many other kinds of birds too!

Avalon Aviary (Loveland, CO): $359 with DNA sex
*adoption interviews and process but are willing to work with you if you are far away

Exotic Birds Denver (Denver, CO): males $435, females $399
*definitely the most expensive

For the Love of Birds (Denver, CO): $309
*allows you to put yourself on the wait list with a non refundable deposit and its first come first serve. Has a lot of birds and mutations

I have 5 eggs, that if successful I'll be looking for good homes, I'm also in southern Colorado about 2.5 hours from Elizabeth, co. Let me know if you might be interested and we can connect to get some pictures sent when the time comes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts