Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read that young female cockatiels have yellow spots under their wings and when they are older the spots near their body go away.Well Loki is young and he has spots near his body too does this mean hes female.And I just checked Rocko he is a year old and he has spots close to his body too.

·
Registered
102 Posts
i haven't heard of this...i thik if your tiels are pied it might just be the pied colouring at work. i've heard a lot of people say pearl pieds will lose their pied-ness when molting if they're male and keep it if they're female, though

·
Registered
648 Posts
I don't think that's true. You can find pictures of cockatiel wing spots on the internet, and they do change as they age depending on their sex, but I don't think they change in the way you stated. Also I'm not sure how it'd work on pearl pieds, that might make it more complicated. I've never really tried to sex a bird via wing spots so I'm no expert but I hear it's usually reliable enough if done correctly.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think that's true. You can find pictures of cockatiel wing spots on the internet, and they do change as they age depending on their sex, but I don't think they change in the way you stated. Also I'm not sure how it'd work on pearl pieds, that might make it more complicated. I've never really tried to sex a bird via wing spots so I'm no expert but I hear it's usually reliable enough if done correctly.
Thats where I got it from a picture on google it shows female adults have less spots than young females.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
You're right about the female wing spots Brandon. Here's a diagram made by Susanne Russo, she is a long-time member on this forum (srtiels).

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You're right about the female wing spots Brandon. Here's a diagram made by Susanne Russo, she is a long-time member on this forum (srtiels) and owns the website Little Feathered Buddies:

This is confusing Rocko has spots on the primary and secondary feathers and hes a year old.Loki is the same but hes young so is Loki female.Ill double check Rocko tommorow.Also im on the forum littlefeathered buddies.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Oops, sorry Carolyn! I'll edit my post.

It's probably too early to tell what sex Loki is. You'll have to wait until he/she has a heavy molt to find out. :)

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Pied wing spot sexing:

Rocko is definitely too young for this way of sexing to be relevant, though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts