Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rudi is about 1 1/2 years old. We think he's a male but lately he has been standing on the perch near the top of the cage and raising his back end up against the enclosed cuddle bone piece attached at the back of the cage. While doing this he tweets and chirps in a kind of nice sounding way. What is this behavior?

Thanks in advance....

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Sounds a lot like a hen pleasuring herself to me, too.

It's best that you check out the Sticky article on hormone control.

·
Registered
260 Posts
You definitely have a hen! A pearl pied boy would have lost his pearls by now

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Rudi is definitely a Rudiette by the looks of it. :blush:

You should relocate the cuttle bone to somewhere else in the cage where she can't pleasure herself on it to avoid her getting so stimulated that she begins laying eggs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone. Will be rearranging the cage and use some of the advice from the sticky on hormones.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So Rudi has now laid two eggs in the last two weeks including one today. I've seen a lot of conflicting posts here about whether or not to leave the eggs or take it out so I'm looking for a more definitive answer. The first egg i took out right away but wife and I decided to leave the one from today and I put the first on back as well so Rudi sees them both. So far she doesn't seem to be bothering with them.

I don't know...sounds like a good idea...let me know what you guys think

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
10,914 Posts
Some birds don't start sitting until several eggs have been laid, so it's possible that she will take an interest in them later. But if she's ignoring them completely, I think that I would remove the eggs and start applying hormone control techniques to discourage her from laying more. Here's info on how you do that: http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/info/breed-hormones.html The article includes information on what to do when unwanted eggs are already being laid.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This poor bird has now laid about 9 eggs. At what time to I begin to worry about this? We have been trying some of the hormone methods listed but to no avail so far. Should I try removing the eggs from the cage?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.