Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone

I haven't been on the forums for a while. My cockatiel Sunny is now 4 months old and is settling in very well, he is eating well and developing quite a personality.

My question is about droppings. When I got him his droppings were quite dark. I believe this was from a complete seed diet. A week after I got him I introduced pellets which he enjoys. When I introduced these his droppings changed to the green regular cockatiel droppings. He's had a few watery droppings when he's been frighted but they don't last and I believe is normal too.

His droppings seem normal with the clear liquid when they are fresh but when they dry in on the newspaper on the bottom of the cage there is a small yellow stain where the clear urine was. Is this normal?

Also today he did one the chair which I had to clean up and noticed that when it first fell there were a few bubbles in it just the normal amount you would get if say you poured some liquid and they quickly disappeared. Is this also normal? :grey tiel:

Thanks

Carol

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
It all sounds normal to me. The staining on the dried droppings is because as it dries, some of the color from the fecal portion bleeds into the urine.

Bubbles can sometimes indicate infection if there's a lot or there are other symptoms present (lethargy, lack of appetite, etc.) but most often are just from the poop falling onto a surface.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Enigma that's a relief. He's busy whistling away to himself just now and seems really happy :)

·
Registered
544 Posts
I'm really glad to read this too. I've wondered about this same thing. My girls seem really healthy, but it worried me a bit how their old dry poop looks. Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts