Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 8-9 month old cockatiel. After looking up signs of illness because once he retured home from a friend's house during a vacation, I noticed he was sleeping a lot during the day and still does sometimes. It's since been a few months and now he is about the same as he was. Upon reading on these "signs of illness," I read that fluffed feathers and a sleepy look can also indicate a sickness. However, he's done that his whole life. His feathers are tight and his eyes are open when he isn't idle. He still sings as beautiful as ever and still loves to come out. I honestly think his sleeping problem is his fear of darkness. He is always alert at night and hisses when he can't see what's going on. Is anything cause of concern or am I just overreacting? Thanks!

·
Registered
10,896 Posts
It's normal for cockatiels to take naps during the daytime, especially in the afternoon. If he's spending a lot of time at night being awake instead of sleeping, then he needs to catch up on his sleep in the daytime.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Hello there and welcome to the forum! :)

Your cockatiel doesn't sound unwell, just tired. Do you cover his cage at night? If you do and you are noticing he doesn't like total darkness, you can set up a dim night light near his cage so he isn't totally blind at night. This helps to prevent night frights, which can cause them to flail about and often end up injured. He should get a better sleep this way also.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts