Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the immortal words of Kung Pow, "Oh man, I'm a little tiny horny honey." That sums up my concern with my grey female tiel, Cloud. :wf grey: I may not be a bird expert, but I had my suspicions when she started doing lots of little soft chirps while sticking her butt up in the air in front of the face of my male tiel, Chocobo. :pied: and she does this around 2-4 times a day. (probably because I always interrupt them)
My concern is that they're both only around 7-ish months old, and that seems like waaaaay too soon. My previous tiel (although she didn't have a birdy buddy) only started showing signs of egg laying behavior after about 2 years of age. If she does start laying eggs, wouldn't that be bad for her health considering how young she is? I do not want her to get egg bound! D:

I don't really have any nesting materials in or around the cage, and I've been making sure to keep them covered for sleep for at least 12-14 hours every night. Keeping them apart would be difficult with my cage setup, as they're housed together. (pictured below) I've thought about maybe re-homing Chocobo, but I couldn't bear to lose him, and they adore each other so it would be devastating for them to be apart. (they have quite a large area in general to hang out in, but they still sick close to one another anyways)

Do you have any possible solutions for my problem? Or is it not even a problem at all and I just shouldn't worry about it?

Attachments

·
Registered
227 Posts
Some girls may start as early as 3 months..with equally young boys. You need to separate them for now-put them in side by side cages and apply hormone control (the article is in the sticky library) dont let her lay eggs at such young age,its suicidal..huge chance of egg bounding..please act immidiately,save your girl..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some girls may start as early as 3 months..with equally young boys. You need to separate them for now-put them in side by side cages and apply hormone control (the article is in the sticky library) dont let her lay eggs at such young age,its suicidal..huge chance of egg bounding..please act immidiately,save your girl..
Thank you so much for your advice! I may have to consider re-homing Chocobo though because of my housing situation. But, until then, I shall get a temporary cage to separate them for a while.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts