Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so yea last time i had bought two cockatiels which i thought were ill. Now i got them exchanged from the same shop. But the place where i bought them from had a temprature measuring to 43 degrees. So i had to get these cocktiels to my home which is like 60 km away from the place from where i had to get them. So when i was thier these tiels used to chirp a lot. But after coming from a long distance they are behaving like the old ones but still faster than them they are sleeping now. Why is it? is it becoz of the change in temprature or becoz thye have shifted to new home and are still trying ot get used to their new environment. But seriously they are way active than the old ones and are thin too not even lethargic. And yea they have any toys in thier cagee yet and they r sleeping now i put sme cockatiel sounds on the net but right now they rnt paying any attention to it but sleeping.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Are you sure it was that warm where you got them? That seems to be an extreme temperature, unless you are meaning they came from an outdoor aviary. I had a quick check to see what that came out to, and it said 109f. I can only guess you mean it was outdoors.

When tiels first get into a new home, they are quiet and sometimes timid for a while. I've had my guy 2 years and 4 months. He is quite active and vocal. We moved Tuesday, and he has been quite quiet since. Today was the first he had a bit of a sing, although he has chirped and talked some this week, just not to his usual chattiness and several singing sprees a day.

When Joey first moved in with us at 2 months old, he was incredibly quiet, sitting on his perch looking like a bewildered little old man for the first few days. He ate a little, but mostly sat, looking confused. It took a few days, but he adjusted to us and his new home. We moved a year ago and he was quiet the first few days, but handled it better than he did as a baby. This time, he has been quiet, but seemed to enjoy the road trip to get here, comes out of his cage to fly and play, and eats (mostly) normally, although maybe not quite to his usual piglet standards. He is eating more by the day, returning to normal.

I'm hoping the change of environment is the only thing causing your tiels to be quiet and not very active. How long have you had them?

·
Registered
350 Posts
When tiels first get into a new home, they are quiet and sometimes timid for a while.
I adopted Kirby two months ago. He completely adjusted to his new home after a few weeks; he was used to the schedule, the location, and had accepted all of us as flock members. However, he only started getting vocal about a month ago, and has become even more vocal in the last few weeks. I'm guessing that in another month or two we'll never get him to shut up :lol: In any case, he took quite some time to adjust, which makes sense, since he was moved into a house with three other dogs, AKA predators! It's probably instinct for him to keep quiet because these new housemates could eat him in a heartbeat. However, ever since he figured out that my dogs were more afraid of him than he was of them, he became a big dog bully, even to our middle dog, Jack, who's his best friend!

You just adopted these tiels. Like I said, I've had Kirby for two months, and he still hasn't completely adjusted. Give it time. As long as the tiels look healthy, I would wait. You can tell if they seem healthy by:
*their poop; make sure it's normal
*their feathers: a healthy bird has vibrant, healthy looking feathers
*their eyes: their eyes should be bright and clear (even if a little sleepy :))
*their habits: are they eating okay?

Another thing with habits; Kirby was the same as your birds when I brought him home: all he did was preen or sleep. However, after two months, lots of love and encouragement, and a good playground he now climbs around his cage, talks and sings, rubs his beak against his perches, climbs to and from his cage, climbs to and from his playground, flies (though he's not supposed to at this time because of a wing injury <_<)...the list goes on. The only thing we still have to work on is singing like he used to at the rescue and playing with toys. Give your birds more time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea man thier poop is normal that.
they only eat seeds fr now but they eat it after sleeping when they are hungry. They even jump on the swing and the most funniest thing is that the male tiel is like to attack the females feet and she just moves away. :D
They have bright feathers too
and their eyes are bright too.

·
Registered
350 Posts
They sound perfectly healthy to me. Just give them time

·
Registered
17 Posts
Foot fancy!

yea man thier poop is normal that.
they only eat seeds fr now but they eat it after sleeping when they are hungry. They even jump on the swing and the most funniest thing is that the male tiel is like to attack the females feet and she just moves away. :D
They have bright feathers too
and their eyes are bright too.
Hiya, Johnny,

I have got just the same thing going on with Dave nibbling at Qashqai's feet half the day and also singing in her face. She acts like the grown up and ignores his (I guess) courting behaviour. I was going to ask everyone if this is common, but you beat me to it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts