Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,
my name din, u wanna ask for opinion, is this creamface or yc? since creamface suitable to breed with whiteface while YC not.

TQ

Attachments

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Doesn't look YC, trust me you'll know a YC when you see one, they have bright yellow cheekpatches. I've never actually seen a creamface, so I can't say for sure that that is one.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
I don't know, it looks like it very likely is a creamface. The one in the background of that last pic looks to be a pastelface.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
http://www.justcockatiels.net/creamface.html This link shows creamface. It looks similar to your bird, but there is also the possibility that it is a gold cheek, although I don't have any pictures of that. You're best bet is going to be to test breed the bird to a visual WF and see what you get in the nest.

·
Registered
10,791 Posts
I don't actually have any experience with cheek patch mutations unless you count whiteface. But my understanding is that yellow cheek diminishes the orange color but the yellow stays at full intensity. So I don't think this bird can be yellow cheek.

Pastelface is an allele of whiteface. PF diminishes both the yellow and the orange, and when a bird gets the PF gene from one parent and the WF gene from the other parent, these colors are diminished even more. I don't know enough about it to guess whether this bird could be heterozygous PF-WF.

Srtiels' website has some information on the difference between creamface and heterozygous PF-WF: http://www.justcockatiels.net/creamface.html

If srtiels' description of gold cheek is correct, I don't think this bird can be gold cheek. GC is not a pale color: http://www.justcockatiels.net/gold-cheek.html

My best guess is that this bird is either creamface or heterozygous PF-WF. What country is the bird in? Many of the newer mutations are only available in certain areas, and if we know the bird's location we might be able to identify the mutation better.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah.. i think this is creamface after read the article.. so gonna pair it with WF since CF dominant over WF.

Bydway Im from Malaysia.

TQ all

·
Registered
10,791 Posts
According to http://www.neitokakadut.com/index.php?page=creamface the creamface mutation originated in South Africa and was brought to the US about 10 years ago. The importation ban on parrots tends to prevent the international movement of new cockatiel mutations but they obviously got around this somehow. The mutation could very well be available in Malaysia.

The terminology in the article isn't very precise, but it sounds like creamface might be another allele of pastelface and whiteface, which are also mutations of the blue locus. There are a lot of different descriptions of the effect that these alleles have on each other, but the people with the greatest technical knowledge of genetics say that PF and WF are co-dominant. People who are more observation-based tend to say that PF is dominant over WF since the blended effect of these two genes looks more like PF than it does like WF. So it seems likely that CF is really co-dominant with WF and PF, and not the "PF dominates CF dominates WF" relationship described in the article.

It's possible that this bird is not homozygous creamface, meaning that he has two copies of the creamface gene. His face is so pale that I'm going to guess that he has at least one creamface gene, but it's possible that he's CF-WF rather than CF-CF. He might even be PF-CF or PF-WF. If you breed him with a WF hen and they produce any pure WF babies, that will be proof that he has one copy of the WF gene and it's paired with either CF or PF.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
It's possible that this bird is not homozygous creamface, meaning that he has two copies of the creamface gene. His face is so pale that I'm going to guess that he has at least one creamface gene, but it's possible that he's CF-WF rather than CF-CF. He might even be PF-CF or PF-WF. If you breed him with a WF hen and they produce any pure WF babies, that will be proof that he has one copy of the WF gene and it's paired with either CF or PF.
I'm leaning towards CF-WF too because of how light it is. Which is why I was having a hard time figuring it out. From what I was reading of what srtiels wrote, CF and PF are co-dominant, but both show visual when paired with WF (basically she says that CF acts the same way PF does when paired with WF.) Poor WF is just the odd man out.

·
Registered
10,791 Posts
Poor WF is just the odd man out.
If I understand correctly, you get a blended effect when these genes are mixed together. WF causes zero yellow/orange and the others are more than zero, so you're always going to get some color and it's going to look more like the "more than zero" mutation than it does like the "zero color" mutation.

I'm totally making up these percentages, but here's an example to demonstrate the principle:

Let's say that the PF gene reduces the color to 50% of normal intensity, and when you mix it with WF the average of those two genes will be 25% of normal intensity. It's going to look like a paler shade of PF, and people who look at the visual results without thinking about the genetic intricacies or crunching the numbers will naturally think that the PF is dominating the WF. But you could just as easily turn it around and say that the WF is diluting the PF. Knowledgeable people say that the PF-WF combination is paler than homozygous PF, and if PF was truly dominant then PF-WF should look exactly the same as PF-PF.

Same thing with CF only paler. Let's say CF reduces the color to 25% of normal intensity, and when you blend it with WF you get an average effect of 12.5% of normal intensity. Both genes are having a visual effect but there will still be some color, so it looks more like CF than WF.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello guys
My name is Raza, i m from Pakistan. I have one CF pied male and i paired with lution normal female with orange check and get 2 clutches all babies are pied with orange check, now i want to repair do i pair pied CF male with WF ino female? Please reply

1 - 16 of 16 Posts