Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought this 8.5'' x 14.5'' fleece tepee for my cockatiel and I don't know if it's safe enough for him. I worry that his claws will get stuck inside (I never trim his claws) and I also read some horror stories here:

http://www.birdtricks.com/blog/dangerous-parrot-accessories/

The reason why I decided to get him a tepee is because I adopted a cat a couple of months ago (he was born in our backward from a feral cat and I raised him as a kitten and grew attached to him) and I want my cockatiel to have some shelter to feel safer in his cage now that the cat is here. I do my best to keep both pets in separate rooms by closing doors or closely supervising my cat while he's in the same room as my cockatiel. But I forgot to close a door twice and my cat sneaked up (once without his collar, so he didn't make any noise) and spooked my poor cockatiel while he was asleep. My cat is VERY INTERESTED in my cockatiel, he can spend hours just staring at him in a hunting-like position. I don't want my cockatiel to die of a heart attack or get attacked and I don't want him to feel anxiety either, but I love both of my pets and I want to keep them both.

Is it a bad idea to keep the tepee? I can return it for an exchange, but only today. What other thing can make him feel safe (besides attaching his cage to the ceiling, which I can't do)?

IMG_8333.jpg IMG_8336.jpg

Thanks!

·
Registered
786 Posts
Do you put your cat in a separate room with a shut door when you are away? I can't emphasize enough to do that. As far as the huts, they can get stuck with claws or beaks in it, and they are not really safe. I would really say to discourage any behavior like the cat having interest in the bird. If I see my cat sitting by the cage and looking like yours does, I squirt him with water, it doesn't hurt the cat, but it gets the message across. How wide are the spaces of the bars on the cage? Mine are 5/8 of an inch, and I am sad to say that my cat (while I was gone) got her paws through the cage and killed my last cockatiel. Its a big lesson learned. Sorry to go on and on, but I am only trying to show that its a risk.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sorry that you had to experience losing your bird like that, poor little helpless thing. I also lost two budgies before to other accidents, our birds can now fly safely and eat as many millet sprays as they want in birdie heaven.

Do you put your cat in a separate room with a shut door when you are away?
Yes, always! And I make sure to double check. My cat is on the second floor while my bird is on the first floor. The problem is that there are two doors directly leading to where the cockatiel stays and we are 3 in my family and sometimes one of us forgets to close a door and when the cat is allowed to roam free in the 2nd floor corridor and sees an open door, he runs downstairs to the bird cage. I know that my pets are my responsibility and sometimes I don't always monitor and pay attention to who leaves a door open.

I would really say to discourage any behavior like the cat having interest in the bird.
I did react instantly the moment I saw the cat placing it's paw on the cage. I was extremely angry and scared at the moment because my bird looked terrified and was flapping it's wings like crazy and the image of the cat killing the bird is a nightmare to me so I shouted NO! to the cat. I grabbed the cat and showed him the bird so he could get a better smell of him and I assertively said NO! NO! NO! NO! so he would get the message that he is not allowed be so close to the bird. He knows that NO! makes me angry and it's an unpleasant sound to him because he runs away or hides when he hears it. I hope I can condition him to have no hunting instinct around the bird.

How wide are the spaces of the bars on the cage?
2cm. I also moved the cage closer to the corner of the wall so the cat couldn't get to the bird on one side.

IMG_8337.jpg

I also returned the tepee, better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Sounds like you have covered everything, which is good :) Just don't forget that you can never disconnect the instincts in a cat. Its there, permanently. Good thing you returned the teepee, I have heard some awful stories here about them. What is your tiels name? You should post some pics so we can see him ;)
I like the idea of our birdies flying together at the Rainbow bridge...makes me smile...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts