Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://talkcockatiels.com/photoplog/index.php?n=6614 Hello all! I've been breeding cockatiels for years,but now I am confused because this chick doesnt seem to agree with genetic rules Her parents(whom I raised and sure of genetics): WF pearl mother split to pied Pied father split to WF lutino(x2) pearl(x1)....no cinnamon ever!!! but the chick looks brown When it hatched I assumed it was a girl because of lutino eyes and SL parents pairing but seing brown feathers really confuse me I dont have any fallow birds and never saw one in real life,but from what I ve read abt them-red eyes and light brown feathers...but how this chick can be fallow if parents dont have the gene?Who can tell me whats going on ? Thank you!

·
Registered
10,791 Posts
Cinnamon chicks can have red eyes when they first hatch, but the eyes should have darkened by this age. The feathers look too dark to be fallow, but we'll know more when the chick feathers out. Recessive silver birds have red eyes and their feathers can be either dark or light. How many chicks has this pair had prior to this?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you,Tielfan This is their first ever clutch,funny enough there is younger sibling in this clutch who at birth looked like WF lutino but now I can see some grey feathers coming up she is going to be pied but also with red eyes. What puzzles me is the absence of cinnamon genes in parents for baby to be brown.I will post pic when pins will open

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Tielfan,now that you mentioned RS Iam educating myself.. I never had a RS bird but parents of this chick are both in some degree related to WF pied pearl cock "Snow" who so far produced many clutches but with hens who lack the gene. So it makes sense that now I ve bred two splits,I ve got visual bird, that will explain red eyes and brown feathers..I will post pics when the chick is older

·
Registered
10,791 Posts
A cinnamon pied bird shouldn't have red eyes. Based on the current feather color, I'd say that fallow is a possibility. But you have another red-eyed chick whose pinfeathers look very dark, so recessive silver seems more likely. I'm not an expert on these mutations. Your best bet is to wait for the chicks to finish feathering out, then ask on the National Cockatiel Society's Facebook group.

·
Registered
10,791 Posts
The first baby is not lutino, there's too much dark pigment in the feathers. It's probably a light-colored recessive silver. The body feathers can be dark grey or light grey with RS. The color of this chick's feathers look like they could be fallow, but the second chick looks much too dark to be fallow. It's not likely that you would get fallow and RS in the same clutch when you weren't expecting either mutation, so it's most likely that both chicks are RS. I recommend that you join the National Cockatiel Society Facebook page and post pictures of the chicks to get opinions from people who know more about these mutations than I do. Here's the link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1497247917251218/

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, I did send them a request to join..I have cockatiels for so many years now but they just continue to surprise me..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts