Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
No guesses, still very young, but luckily it's pearled, and that is a cheat in the visually unsexable pied mutation, but since it is a pied chick, its pearling will fade slowly if it's a cock, or if it's a hen, it should keep the pearls. But it could take a very long time until the pearls fade, if they do, that is. 2 months is still pretty young, so I would wait until it starts showing more behaviors as it grows

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I had a male pearl pied who retained the pearling well into adulthood, sometimes they can molt out sooner based on the individual so I agree with everything CaliTiels said. Pretty hard to give you a good answer on gender, unfortunately. Your best bet would be waiting to see what gender-specific behaviors emerge to get a general idea or getting a DNA test to know absolutely. Gorgeous bird though.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
It could be either sex, but going off the fact it is a pearl I'm leaning towards hen. Watch the pearls on its back, if they start vanishing or becoming more dilute after the next two or three years then its a male. Watch for sex-specific behaviors like egg laying or singing. If you can't wait, do a dna test.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts