Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Elvis had an accident a month ago and broke a claw. He was bleeding everywhere and I wasn't at home, only my boyfriend. I am away from before he awakes until after he is asleep for months at a time now and then, because I do theatre/drama and can have intense periods of work. That's also why I haven't been to the forums for a while.

Elvis isn't neglected as my boyfriend is home, but he hates picking Elvis up. He will scratch his head although he is terrified of doing so, but does it because Elvis loves him and insists in a really cute way. He will let him out of his cage, sing to him and interact with him... anything that doesn't involve handling him directly. BUT when Elvis broke his claw he called me and was panicking heavy. I told him what to do and he managed to stop the bleeding and calm Elvis down, but I think it was a lot more stressful for my boyfriend than for Elvis. So, is there a spray that helps to stop bleeding? In that case he wouldn't have to lift Elvis up to fiddle with corn starch and towels.

I would prefer he just "sucked up" and learned how to hold him, in case anyone want's to recommend that, especially since he is the only one Elvis will let that near. But as that is no option and I wouldn't be able to keep Elvis if it wasn't for my boyfriend taking good care of him during my away-periods, I don't want to push him into doing something that really scares him.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Flour or corn starch. Styptic powder is also used. I heard about it when I bought my boy and bought it immediately because I had not heard about flour or corn starch yet (but luckily never had to use it). It expired a long time ago. I am not sure if it can still be used in an emergency?
I don't know if it exists as spray.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
There isn't any sprays to stop the bleeding, sorry. The bf is just gonna have to suck it up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Cetrigen spray can help stop bleeding - but I don't konw how safe it is on birds.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I use Cetrigen on my dogs in Summer when flies start bothering their ears. It works well to stop bleeding. I've heard of people using it on chickens, so it could be something to consider. I also don't know where cetrigen is available - I am in Australia.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts