Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cockatiel's cage is in the kitchen/family room area, which is nice because everyone gets to see her, but I'm worried that she is bothered when my parents watch TV there at night. My dad tends to turn up the volume louder than it needs to be as well.
Should I move her to a different room? She's only been here a week, and I'm not sure if a change of scenery would be too stressful.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I lie in bed watching T.V with my tiel nightly, and when he wants to sleep he just bobbs his head towards the cage, and I cover it and put him in. I usually watch a bit longer and he seems to sleep during that time :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm that's what I thought. I think I'll move her to the next room then (and try and get my parents to turn the volume down).
Thanks!

·
Registered
365 Posts
My tiels are in my room and I have my tv on most of the night, it doesn't bother them at all. In fact they seem to find it soothing, the only time either have had night frights is when the tv is off.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I leave the TV on for my birds. On Animal Planet incase there is a show with some bird sounds. :) I don't like the idea of them sitting there without me in total silence, but maybe they don't mind. I don't have it real loud or anything, so I don't think its a bother to them. Birds in the wild are pretty loud aren't they?

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
My two cockatiels are in the living room, close to the TV actually. I put them to bed each night around 8 or 8.30pm and cover their cage. We usually watch TV or talk, play on the computer a few more hours after that. They don't have any problems. I can hear them getting cozy and grinding their beaks:)

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
My birds will sit there and chatter when we've got the tv on (about 5 ft from their cage). It doesn't seem to bother them, but it definitely keeps them awake.

I think covering her cage with a dark blanket will solve your worries though. :) She will get used to the noise eventually.

·
Registered
378 Posts
We have the tv on until 11 in our bedroom/loungeroom area most nights. As long as its not too loud Munchkin doesn't seem to mind. I think she finds it soothing actually. Her cage is next to the bottom of the bed and I can hear her beak grinding away once she has been covered. When we're home the tv is usually on in the background, and when we're out I leave the radio on. She starts flock calling whenever the room is quiet, so I think she finds the noise comforting.

We've followed the same routine since we got her at 6 weeks old so I would think that if your tiel gets used to falling asleep with noise while she is young, it shouldn't stop her getting a good night's sleep in future. It they're watching something extra loud, or a bit later than usual, you can always wake her up a bit later the next morning.

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
When I had ‘tiels in my bedroom, I would have the TV on low when I go to bed, but I have my TV on a setting that turns the TV off when you set it to whatever time (60 mins, 90 mins, etc), and they were also covered so I don’t think it bothered them too much.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts