Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I was hoping for some advice regarding a strange change in behaviour with my male cockatiel. Last week he had two night frights which he has never had before. He is 2 years old.

He now has been doing a strange mouth / beak movement and I have tried to attach a video to show what I mean.
He does something similar when he gets excited, but this is different and almost constant for the last few days. Rapid opening and closing as if gagging / getting air. Mini crop adjustments also.

His poops are normal and he is still singing and flying away. He has always been a bit of a stange fella but I dont know if this new thing is just a new habit or if there is something wrong health wise.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. I also hope the video works.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
I can't see the video, but if he's suddenly adjusting his crop much more than before, it's worth getting checked out because it can be a sign of irritation in the throat.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry I'm having trouble trying to upload the video. The best way to describe it is you know when they get content and beak grind when sleepy. Well it's like that but more exaggerated with yawning and neck stretching added in. It's all time time he is doing it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you enigma, I never even though of using the video to show the vet. My avian vet is a bit of a drive away so I may ring them in the morning, and ask if I can email this video for them to look at and take it from there.

Everything else is normal with him: eating, pooping, singing, heart shaped wings, preening etc.

Fingers crossed it's just a new strange habit he has picked up and nothing serious.

·
Registered
483 Posts
How long has this been going on? My other bird would do this but it would only last a day or two and i always assumed something (lets say a seed husk) might have hurt him a bit when he was eating because it always got better shortly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts