Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have this dark colored female cockatiel which has incomplete pearling but she is female for sure as I ordered DNA test twice lol
My question is does she look split to something? The breeder I got her from didn’t want to tell about parent mutation. (I saw she posted normal and cinnamon pearl on a Craigslist though)

And I want WF pied male. It would be great if they could have more than normal babies.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,899 Posts
She's visual whiteface with incomplete pearling. Plus she's either visual pied or split pied with a large tickmark. Hens can't be split to cinnamon or lutino so we know she doesn't have those genes. That's all the common mutations, so if she's split to anything it would have to be something rare, and we can't tell that just by looking at her.

If you put her with a WF pied male, then all the babies will be whiteface. They will either be all pied or half of them will be pied depending on whether she is visual or split.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Hello there and welcome to the forum!

As well as whiteface and pearl she looks visual pied to me, I'm pretty sure she has one pure white tail feather in photo #1 and a patch of white on her chest in photo #2.

Beautiful 'tiel! :love: What mutation is your other cockatiel?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Teilfan,

Thanks for an answering my question so fast! I am so happy babies have possibility for pied as my husband likes white ones. I thought she was pearl but good thing to know she is pied. Now I must look harder to adopt male though it is sold out everywhere unless it is slightly overpriced.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Vickiteil,
Thank you! So happy to join this forum 🙂
I am studying hard but I am new so not sure about her exact mutation as breeder didn’t want to tell me. But I think mother is whiteface cinnamon pearl and father is WF normal. Or opposite.

·
Registered
10,899 Posts
Pied can be very quirky so I don't know if she's visual or split. If she has a pied tailfeather or flight feather it means that it's most likely that she has two copies of the gene, but it's not absolute proof. But she definitely has at least one copy of the gene.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts